OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

I got two fans from an old guy in the 70's and at that point the fans were already really old. Judging by the (largely absent) electrical safety measures pre-WW2 but certainly consumer-grade. I ended up throwing them away because the plastic in the blades looked like an imminent failure waiting to happen. Don't remember what it was (bakelite?). With a large fan the results of a failure could be nasty. It looked cool though.

Reply to
Joerg

Confucscious say only Muslim ceiling fan blow up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like time for Obama to issue EO.

I'd expect him to rule that all fans should turn to the left.

Not one to turn down a chance to blow up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ROFL! Luckily I had just finished the glass of chocolate milk, otherwise I'd be cleaning now.

Reply to
Joerg

They were almost unheard of north of the Mason Dixon into the late sixties or seventies. South of the Mason Dixon they were popular in the early 1900s

Reply to
clare

Unless you run an evaporative cooler like we do. Best invention since pivot irrigation.

One has to get used to it. I feel much more comfortable than with traditional A/C but we have to make sure to always use coasters for drinks such as beer that just came out of the fridge. Else there'll be ugly water stains developing on the table.

Reply to
Joerg

Our house (California) was built in 1970. It always had a ceiling fan in the living room. Even older ones did, sometimes on the patio, gets hot out here in the summer.

India had them a couple hundred years earlier, hand-operated and with bio-degradable blades:

Joerg

My pleasure. The only thing good we can do with politicians is ridicule them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Swampers only work in dry climates. Living in NY State, USA, the only swamper I've seen in person was the one I helped to take apart and haul to the scrap yard.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm with you and Cl on this one. The physics of every AC says that when you cool humid air, water condenses out. That water either has to go out a drain line, dribble out, or else get deliberately put back into the air, by reheating it somehow, like a hot pan. In the case of a residential heat pump system, it would almost certainly be a drain line.

A make and model of the heat pump would settle it or perhaps a pic.

Reply to
trader_4

They can also help in more humid climates, not as a direct cooler but as a pre-cool stage outside, before the A/C condenser. However, my impression is that much of the A/C industry is stuck in the times of the Flintstones when it comes to innovation.

Of course this does not work in places where the humidity hovers around

90% a lot such as Houston.
Reply to
Joerg

Evap cooling doesn't work too well in the Muggly Hot weather we get here in the "interlaken" district of Ontario. 81% humidity doesn't evaporate much even at 90F.

Reply to
clare

They had bigger better ones back then too. Cannot remember what they were called, but the name was from the sound they made. Big wet blankets flapped in the breeze.

I saw my first ceiling fans in Zambia in 1973. Not many in homes, but common in public assembly areas

Reply to
clare

Circulation alone makes a big difference. I have the blower turn on for 15min/hr during the night to keep the air mixed. During the day the AC is on enough that it's not necessary.

Reply to
krw

A heat pump is just a reversible AC, so it will heat in the Winter. Otherwise it's exactly the same process, so will do the exact same thing to the air (dry it out - either direction ;).

Reply to
krw

We just did the I80 drive from SF to Truckee. It was about 60F in SF (warm!) and hit 102 from Sacramento to Auburn. It's 70F, 20% RH here now, good beer weather. The gradient up the slope is usually about 1 deg F per 300 feet of altitude, but today it was about twice that.

Reply to
John Larkin

I took it to mean that it was so dry sweat evaporates so fast there is no sign of them perspiring.

You can carry in VT, too, but just watch the people sweat when it gets to 85F. ...or the welfare or trust fund check is late.

Reply to
krw

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:39:33 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

What brand of fan did you buy that it does not reverse?

That is silly.

And if you installed it, why would you install a fan that is so sub-par? There cannot be that great a savings between them, even if such fans enjoy a market. Maybe I never looked for them, but an air circulator fan (ceiling fan)always has a bi-directional motor.

And if it came with the house, I would be looking to kick a contractor's ass, especially in *that* town. I didn't think anything up there was done 'piss poor'.

Or maybe you never actually inspected the fan itself.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 21:28:13 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Absorption usually means a soaking-in and re-radiation of energy and thermal mass gets "stored", so it remains after the source dissipates..

Reflection is better, but your building cannot be an "absorber". It too must also reflect.

I do not think anyone could present a case that differs with these basic physical precepts.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 02:11:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon Gave us:

Great answer.

The thread could have turned philosophical even sooner.

Do not forget Tzu.