OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

Used properly in the right location, they work. They are not a cure for all your environmental ills. One use for them it to gently move around the air in a room to keep a constant temperature and eliminate hot and cold spots. Not rvery room needs that though.

It's a tool. Use it properly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you stand under a ceiling fan wearing a pickelhaube, I guess(tm) it might remove the point, making it pointless:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

:)

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

runs to the right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Anyone who thinks they're pointless has never had one. They work very well and they're cheap. I'd install a few more if it weren't such a PITA.

Reply to
krw

We really appreciate ours.

Reply to
John Larkin

Can't speak for anyone else, but I would definitely dissagree.

Reply to
clare

I spent a year in Germany while in the USCG. There was a bar that we frequented where the (German) owners weren't really fans of the German army. Every now and then one of them would come of the back room carrying a fancy toilet, with some beautiful artwork painted on it. Inside the toilet there was pickelhaube filled with...what else...pickles! They would walk around giving out free pickles to the patrons.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Definitely not me. Love 'em.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Is a toilet in Germany something different from what it is here? I can't picture carrying a toilet without some help and I don't think I would be serving pickles from one... 8-@

Reply to
rickman

If it is good enough for the dog to drink from, it is good enough for yhou to eat pickles from. Pass on the chocolate candy bar though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't you just turn it up until you get to a combination of temperature/humidity that feels comfortable?

Reply to
Brian Gregory

Stop it right now. You're being entirely too practical....

LOL

That's what I've been doing for decades. And despite all the talk about the need to remove humidity without lowering temperature, it's always worked fine for me here in the NYC area. If it's 77 and the AC hasn't been running, it can get humid. So, I just lower it to 75, it runs and in 20 mins you can feel the difference and it's comfortable.

I'm sure having a two stage AC, humidity sensors etc could control it better, but it's not a problem for me.

Reply to
trader_4

Which is better, hot and humid or cold and clammy??? If those are your only options, you are never comfortable. You need to be able to dry the air at both ends of the scale.

Reply to
clare

Why are those two your only options? Like Brian, I have no problem setting a comfortable temperature. If it's too humid, I've never had conditions where lowering the thermostat 2 degrees didn't fix it and result in a comfortable temperature. If it's 80+ and humid outside, the AC runs enough so that humidity isn't a problem. If it's cooler and the AC isn't running, lowering it a degree or two to run the AC for a bit lowers both the humidity and the temp and it's comfortable, because it's the combined effect that we feel. You must live in some unusual conditions.

Reply to
trader_4

They don't make flies avoid the room, but they do stop flies.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Probably a bit late...

From the current issue of Home Power magazine: "Making the Most of Your Ceiling Fan" The temperature of the motor was far higher than anything else in the room, including windows exposed to direct sunlight. Not only was the fan not cooling the people who weren?t in the room, but it was also working as a little space heater.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is this a joke article? He lists some useful info and then draws faulty conclusions. I think the lead in line is a perfect example...

A ceiling fan can heat up to about 100°F when running

Wow! 100°F!!! That is pretty much nothing. The incandescent light bulb in the same fixture is thousands of degrees and likely puts off more heat. I think the case for the fan heating the room is a bit overstated. More useful would have been a simple statement of the wattage of the fan. The comparison to the windows is totally absurd. They let in direct radiant heat from the outside. I can assure you than nearly any window in your house lets in more heat in the summer than the fan puts off. The temperature of the glass has no bearing on the heat coming in through the window.

Reply to
rickman

Right. Ceiling fans both turn and lean to the right. Cause they are made by hard working capitalists.

A ceiling fan that blows hard to the left costs far too much, doesn't work, and leaves you cold. And you keep paying more and more, over and over.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, better than answering those 2005 postings where the people are waiting for info where to buy a repair part, eh?

AHA! Thanks for finding that bit of info. THAT explains why the office fan runs for about 10-15 minutes before it seemed like the temp started to rise! In otherwords, fan at first good, over time bad. I haven't gotten up on ladder [10 ft ceilings] to check the motor housing to see just how hot it does get. But then heat means power, so why not just run Heat Pump for a bit? EVERYTHING eats power. These houses were built like energy is free. Simple example is the 7 ceiling spot lights in the kitchen at 60W each, that's a whopping 420W just to see! A microwave runs on that! well almost.

However, back to fan, with the UP direction not so noticeable. But that direction was contrary to intuition AND to that TV show. so had to check. Thanks for confirming there is little advantage to running fan without anyone in room, unless the Air Handler is anemic, but that's another topic.

Reply to
RobertMacy