OT What-is-it device

At a local auction - some sort of instrument in a wooden crate - I haven't a guess as to what it is - anyone .. ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Captain Optics thinks it's a old, old range finder.

We were both frustrated by our inability to read the words printed on the right-hand sight thingy, and the labels on the outside of the crate.

Reply to
angelica...

My guess was also some kind of old range finder .

Reply to
Snag

For surveyor's or for sighting guns .. or what ? I'm trying to google search it but rangefinder cameras keep hogging the hits .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

He didn't have enough information to conjecture.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Put -camera in the search terms.

Reply to
micky

i A search for "antique range finder telescope". turned this up.

It really isn't all that similar, though.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Most of the coincidence or stereoscopic rangefinders look like a piece of pipe with apertures and knobs.

Reply to
rbowman

I think maybe Clare got it - transit set-up for laying farm field drainage tile. I'm going with that. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I think it belonged to Rumplestiltskin and was for laying out bowling alleys.

Reply to
micky

Just going by where the auction was, and some of the other stuff in the auction I think I know what the owner used it for. Either farm drainage or concrete barn foundations - both of which would require a simple transit to lay out and level.

Reply to
Clare Snyder