OT (Way off) Newsgroups readers

I sure would appreciate a little advice from some of you more knowledgeable computer users than myself.

Recently, I moved to Windows 7. They no longer have Outlook Express - it is now 'Live mail', and in my opinion, it is a piece of junk, both for email and especially for newsgroups.

I went to 'Thunderbird' for email, but their Newsgroup reader is not good at all. Email is fine and will be better as I get used to using it.

Now, I want to go to X-News as a newsgroup reader. However, it does not list Windows 7 as one of the operating systems. Before I download and install it, I want to know if it will work with W-7.

Is anyone running Windows 7 and using x-news? I sure would appreciate any suggestions on a good news reader that is free.

Sorry for the OT, but I know we have some pretty heads up and intelligent people on here, and I need your help.

Thanks much,

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Use Google as your search engine. Pull down "groups," and go from there.

/paul W3FIS

Reply to
deadgoose

"Bob-tx" wrote in news:4ccddbfe$0$14783$ snipped-for-privacy@news.suddenlink.net:

Since Xnews works fine on Vista, I'm assuming (yes I know) it'll work fine on Win7. I intend to try when I get Win7.

Reply to
Han

Xnews works fine on Win7. X news is 32 bit but it'll work fine on 64 bit windows 7, like mine.

Reply to
The Henchman

Many block all input from Google Groups, the biggest reason is that it's a spam source.

Reply to
HeyBub

Which install of Windows 7, 32 bit or 64 bit?

I crashed recently and finally put Win7 on, 32 bit (from Win2K)

X-News (based on the web site) is only supported on:

Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP.

You might try and see if X- News runs in XP mode.

If Win7 barfs, if may offer the option to run in XP mode. A favorite utility of mine would not go on Win7, but gave me the option for XP mode.

( for the best support is

)

Reply to
Oren

Curious if it runs in XP mode on Vista? So it works..

Reply to
Oren

LOL! They OP wants a news reader....

Reply to
Oren

I have found Thunderbird to be an excellent news reader. What is your problem with it? Perhaps you have configured it the wrong way?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oren wrote in news:30trc6pbnkubei62eq27gbq6lei2naur4t@

4ax.com:

Vista home basic. Just the naked exe works as is. At least on the newsservers I use, e.g. astraweb, ms, adobe, motzarella

Reply to
Han

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:iaksjj$ll8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

The problem with newsreaders is that you get used to a particular set of idiosyncracies. A different set just won't cut it. Similar with a nice well-used spouse ...

Reply to
Han

I have WinXP and use Thunderbird for email and newsgroups with no problems. I have never used Outlook, and started out with Netscape back in ?....93?

Reply to
norminn

Scratching my head too - TB works fine.

Reply to
Frank

I like Agent. For one thing, it will run anywhere since you don't have to "install" it. You can run off a thumb drive and just take it all with you when you go.

Reply to
gfretwell

I just ZIP a file of the directory, and save as a backup. When needed in the future, un-zip it and run it from a short cut icon to exe file.. No install whatsoever.

Reply to
Oren

Oh, damn, now I know who her ex is. I had no idea, she said the rubber chicken and the weed eater got to be boring after a while and she could no longer tolerate all the kinky sex.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm an OE junkie. I use "Windows Mail" too and it works fine. Better than most. From what I understand "Windows 7" has a program very similar to "Windows Mail". I don't know if it's "Live Mail" but I'd probably just use it. I've tried other newsreaders and I always drop out during the learning curve.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Yes! TB does a couple of things I can't get used to.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

I don't know, but I wonder if you could load OE off an earlier operating software disk. Or, from the MS web site. Probably won't run on win 7, but it's a fun thought.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That might explain a few of the posts, I lurk on alt.rubber.chicken sometimes. Sure has seemed that someone there is really off her feed a bit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon