OT TV talking to me

For some reason my LG TV connected to Xfinity has started talking to me. It is obviously some for blind people who can still here because it does play-by-play of the shows. Last night's Bones for instance, it said Cam enters the room and goes to the autopsy table. Looked through the LG and couldn't find anything that looks like it would take it away. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Check the remote and see if you can find any buttons that you Normally don't use. One of those might be the reason it got turned on. Beyond that if you can't find it in the instructions try going to the menu and going through it item by item to see if you can find the setting.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

My LG TV's remote control has a dedicated button for CAPTION, documented in the manual. E.g. "Service 1-5 . . . is only available for the digital broadcasting system."

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Already tried both. The various sound menus don't tell me anything. Would this be on the TV or on Infinity side?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

IDK, but this suggests it might be on the cable box side. Not exactly what you're talking about, but it's similar and recent:

If the link doesn't work, just google "talking tv for blind".

Reply to
trader_4

SAP?

bob_villa

Caption is off. But thanks for the attempt.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Look for audio description.

Reply to
Newsworthy

Here is what one LG owner posted in a A/V forum.

"We have an LG 32LD490. This afternoon for no apparent reason the voice over, disability function, audio description came on. Took a while but worked out what to do. It comes on when volume turned down to zero. How to stop it; go to Menu, Option, Disability Assistance, select Hard of Hearing to "OFF", down to Audio Description and select to "ON", ( here's the important bit) , down to Volume and set to -1, back up to Audio Description and set to "OFF", then Exit. That'll do it. I can't see why it has a -1 and lower but luckily I don't have a disability. Hope it works for you."

Good Luck.........

Reply to
Retired

I don't have that Disability Assistance as an option. played with the spa or whatever that was for the spanish choice, see if that maybe did it. Thanks. Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It's SAP, I think that means Secondary Audio Program. It's closed captioning with voice instead of text. When my computer comes up in that mode, the initial voice-over tells you, in generic terms, how to turn it off. I time shift all my TV and play them thru VLC. I noticed that some programs have SAP, some don't, some have multiple language streams. And they shift around in the menu sequence, so I often have to switch audio streams when I play a different program just to get back to English. And which language comes up and whether it has SAP enabled seems to be random.

Reply to
mike

My dad bought a TV years ago that had something like that. Somehow he got it in that mode and while the screen show regular programming , the sound was the weather chanel.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yiou drank Wayyyyyyy too much on New Years..... Quit drinking for a week! :)

If course, if your tv starts to WATCH you, and follows you around the house, you have a REALLY BIG PROBLEM :)

I hate it when my TV watches me!!!!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

That would seem to be an oxymoron of some kind.....

Reply to
trader_4

Tell that to a blind person.

Reply to
mike

Try reading. He said it's SAP, "closed captioning with voice instead of text".

First, what Kurt has isn't SAP. And SAP is voice converted to text. If you had SAP and converted it to voice, you'd be back where you started. Got it now?

Reply to
trader_4

mike wrote in news:m89641$rsd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

What, you think a blind person needs some sort of assistive technology to hear the audio portion of a normal television broadcast?

Reply to
Doug Miller

In this case, the vocal closed captioning does thing like (for Bones) "Cam enters the room and approaches the autopsy table." or "Dr. Hodgins pulls on the lever with a big grin on his face". F

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

What Kurt seems to be hearing is called "Descriptive Video Service"

It uses the SAP channel to deliver an audio description of the video image as an assist to blind people.

His issue is figuring out how to turn it off.

Reply to
Retired

Did you see my post, where I referred you to the Xfinity press release?

Reply to
trader_4