OT tracking

Today I got an unexpected package. It's an 8x10x2" soft-sided black bag, with a zipper main compartment, a small velcro side pocket for pencils, and a latching flap front pocket where the inside of the large flap say AARP thirty three times in bright white letters on black.

I guess AARP sent it to me because I renewed, which I only did to keep my supplemental insurance.

I don't see how to look at this except to say that I bought myself a bag, even though I probably have no use for it.

But what gets me is that it came with tracking! A $10 bag, probably 5 when they buy 40 mililion every five years. Or more like 5 or 6 million a year, since probably people who renew for less than 5 get different so-called gifts. And for that they pay for tracking!! Do you think they get a volume discount from the USPS?

The new passport also came with tracking, priority mail, and that I heartily approve, because I don't want my passport to get lost. There are a lot of people who look like me who are just dying to use it. Even though I wasn't in a hurry to need priority mail, tracking can't be used with plain first class. Plus it's one part of the federal govt. buying from another so it's like it's all one pocket, even though it's not like that.

The return address on the passport was S. Carolina, but the tracking shows Tuczon. It took 15 minutes shy of 48 hours to get to its next recorded stop (and afaik they record every stop), the main post office in Baltimore. Somehow that seems very fast for by truck, but slow if by plane. So how does that happen?

Reply to
micky

el snipperoony

I made it from Memphis Tn to Brigham City Utah in 29 hours once ... with a colicy 6 mo old baby (he's almost 39 now ...) and a pissed off wife . Seriously , they use team drivers for the long hauls that are time-critical . That lets them drive like 20 hours a day , so under 48 is not that unusual .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

According to this site, USPS trackng is included with every shipment except for First Class *letters*.

What is USPS Tracking®? USPS Tracking® is the only USPS mechanism that provides end-to-end ite m tracking and is automatically included with all USPS domestic shipping products ? except commercial Standard Mail parcels. For Standard Ma il parcels, the tracking feature can be added as an Extra Service, for an additional fee. USPS Tracking® does not expedite or guarantee delivery .

See above.

Most mapping sites show 1 Day 9 Hours from Tucson to Baltimore. Easily done by multiple drivers.

As far as recording every stop, that would depend on what you call a "stop" . Unless the mail is actually handled, i.e. taken off of the vehicle and scanned, it won't show up a recorded stop. If the truck pulls into a USPS d epot or other transfer point just to change drivers, that's not a trackable stop .

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some cut.

Well. Some of the guys here probably worked on computers that cost a million bucks. One can probably buy one at Walmart now for a couple hundred that run circles around the old stuff. There's a show on the Science channel called How It's Made. Here on Youtube: Machines everywhere, doing things too fast to see.

Relay drivers?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It didn't include a baby.

At least I didn't see one.

Okay, i'll go with that. Thanks and thanks all. .

Reply to
micky

The USPS gives tracking labels out for free. Just ask. They come with a detachable tracking number and a tracking sticker to attach to the package. Course it only saves time if you already have the proper postage affixed and have a package bin drop nearby.

Reply to
AL

No need to ask for labels or use a drop box. It can all be done from home.

This site will let you print Priority Mail labels and schedule pickup by your carrier. You can set up an address book to save addresses that you might use more than once.

In what I consider a "not nice policy" you can't print First Class postage labels at that site. For packages that weigh less than 13 oz, First Class is cheaper. But fear not, First Class postage can be printed via PayPal:

You need a PayPal account and you can't save any addresses. However, you can save $2-$3 by not having to use Priority Mail or flat rate fees for small packages - less than 13 oz. For small packages like that, I just hang them from my mailbox and the carrier picks them up.

Some folks call the PayPal label service a "secret" since PayPal doesn't make it easy to find on their website. That link is kind of a backdoor into the service that was set up so eBay sellers could ship directly from eBay.

Enjoy!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As of a couple of rate "adjustments" (read that as massive increases) in USPS rates ago, all "packages" (what used to be "parcel post"), not just the Priority Mail ones, include tracking at no additional expense.

Reply to
danny burstein

You don't have to pay extra for tracking. Basically all packages I think are tracked at USPS now. I've sent packages first class mail and priority mail, both are tracked. And while priority mail sounds expensive, it's basically what you use now for packages over 1 lb. If it's under, then first class is cheaper, but priority is 1 to 3 day delivery and seems to be the only shipping otpion other than 1st class, from my experience.

Reply to
trader_4

Not wise in the big city. It might not last until the carrier gets there.

Reply to
AL

Actually, First Class is for up to 13 oz, not 1 lb.

But yes, everything except for First Class letters either comes with free tracking or it can be added for free.

The main USPS shipping options are:

Priority Mail Express (Basically the USPS version of overnight shipping) Priority Mail (Flat Rate packaging and "weigh your own box" First Class (for up to 13 oz) USPS Retail Ground (formerly Standard Post) Media Mail - Tip: Media Mail can be opened by the USPS. "Regardless of physical closure, the mailing of articles at Media Mail or Library Mail prices constitutes consent by the mailer to postal inspection of the contents."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Which is one of the many reasons I moved out of the big city almost

40 years ago.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Used to be 13, now it's under 1 lb.

I have no clue WTF USPS Retail Ground is. When I looked at the rate for that compared to priority mail for a couple things, it was basically either the same rate or almost the same rate. Also, I don't think Ebay for example even offers retail ground as an option.

Reply to
trader_4

The definition of USPS Retail Ground can be found here, although since it still says 13 oz for first class, who knows what else is wrong.

DerbyDad03