OT - To Stormin Mormon

No. Mormon doctrine (as explained to me, perhaps incorrectly) says that in the afterlife, those who weren't Mormons will have "the truth" explained to them. It will still be THEIR choice to accept it or not.

But if they accept, they still can't get in unless baptized by proxy. Right or wrong, those proxies are attempting to help those people.

And to the descendanst of those people protesting, I ask, WHY? If the Mormons are wrong, their well-intentioned actions are at least keeping them busy doing something other than proselytizing--while having absolutely no effect on your or your ancestors.

And if they are right, then your protest makes YOU the one deciding to keep you ancestors from the blessings.

Either way, they are also keeping records that will help any of your descendants interested in genealogy.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

You are talking about someone who can't grasp the concept of bottom posting. Someone who follows a religion that promises each good participant their own personal planet after death. Well, not the women, they are one step above a cow. It is doubtful they won't get the concept of OT.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

With the expansion of new ET evidence, and the across-the-board similarities of the founding of most religions by "Sky People", even my beliefs are shaking.

But, basically, I think in all it comes back to a light/dark, good/evil mentality.

I just know that living among people who believe in something greater than man or even just greater than the sum total of mankind, is better than living in a world of people who don't. I know, having tried both.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I guess it's possible. But, that's not the sense I got at that moment. It's been a lot of years, but I remember her being very believable.

I've also known of people to lose a contact lens outdoors, got asked to borrow my flash light one time for just that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wes, that's well written. Pretty much what I'd have written, if I could write as well. The departed ancestors still have free choice. If we're right, we're doing them a favor. If we're wrong, they can just ignore it.

I've been doing temple work for several years. Can't say as anyone deceased has made his (her) presence known and said thank you. But, who can tell? Maybe I'll find out when I go to the Great Beyond, and they can thank me there. Unless I've managed to baptize 72 Virginians.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hey, us outer space must stick together on this backward planet. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Specifically, the King James bible. There are numerous bibles.

I find it interesting that those biblical quotes - regardless of their number - are in a book that was (supposedly) written 1000 years +- before the book from which they are quoted. (Actually, they aren't "quoted" - i.e., attributed - just copied.)

Reply to
dadiOH

Well, for the "benefit of the doubt," if both are inspired by God, then it's conceivable that he might repeat himself on an important subject.

And when I am translating something, I often consult literature to see how someone else said a similar thing.

But then again, Smith claimed that the magic eyeglasses showed him what to write.

I was impressed at how hard those magic glasses tried (but failed) to imitate King James era English grammar.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I forgot to include the comparison: "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, ..." (Joseph Smith, 7 Apr 1844) ()

For background, read

Reply to
Wes Groleau

2 cell phone incidents, one from each side - I found one, my daughter lost hers. Both were returned to the rightful owner.

The Phone I Found...

I was walking along a wooded trail in a park near my home and found a cell phone. A quick scan of the contacts showed an area code from a different state. I found a contact for "Big Sister", called that number and left a message that I had found the phone and gave them my cell phone number. A few minutes later my phone rang and it was the mom of the girl who owned the phone. (I guess they chose to have an adult call me instead of one of the daughters) It turned out that the out-of-state family was visiting friends in my town and had been walking the same trail earlier that morning. They said they were close by, so I told them I would wait. A few minutes later the Dad showed up. I handed him the phone, he handed me a bottle of wine and a handshake later we both went our separate ways.

The Phone My Daughter Lost...

My daughter goes to college in a different town. Last winter she called to tell me that she lost her iPhone and asked if I could track it for her. I logged into Find My iPhone (FMiP) and located the phone on the corner of a road near her dorm. It was a snowy, wintery day, so she needed a few minutes to get dressed and get down there. By the time she got to the corner I could see that the phone was "on the move". She tried to follow the directions I gave her, but it was moving too fast. We assume it was in a car. I used the FMiP app to lock the phone and put a message on the screen to call my cell number if the phone was found. The next day FMiP located the phone sitting still near a house a few miles from the school. The campus police said they couldn't help because it was off-campus, the local police said they couldn't just go knocking on doors demanding the cell phone back. Later that day the iPhone went off-line and we lost track of it.

Two months later, on the same day that my daughter went back to school after the holidays, I got a call from a number with the area code where my daughter goes to college. At first I thought her current phone must be dead and she was calling from a friend's phone to tell me she was back at school. However, when I answered, it was a girl who said her Mom had found the iPhone about a week ago in a snow bank in the parking lot where she worked. They let it dry out, charged it up and saw my number on the screen. I told her I would have my daughter call her, they met up (my daughter brought a male friend just to be safe) and my daughter got her iPhone back. It worked fine, even though it had been outside for at least a portion of the two month period since she lost it.

It must be good karma. My daughter's iPhone was lost before I found/returned the other phone and returned to her afterwards. My good deed was rewarded.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They can't (without a warrant), but you can. But if they're trying to steal it, they won't cooperate with you either, and it won't be there when you do get the warrant. But if they are nice folks (as these were), you get your phone.

Before iPhone existed, my son lost one that had a GPS tracking chip in it. I got on-line and the map showed it in a driveway a mile away. I know GPS is not always accurate, but I figured it likely it was in that house.

They all said they knew nothing about it, but finally one of the kidssaid, "Oh, wait--I gave [my son] a ride a couple of days ago."

Searched the car and found it. GPS was spot on this time.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

If you read the Bible, it says the true test of prophecy is time. If a prophet prophecies, and it comes true, then they are a prophet. The LDS history is shot full of prophesies that are lies or failed to come true.

What about the one that said it was a requirement for a man to have multiple wives to enter Paradise?

Oh, wait a minute!

Incoming!

Let's change the law to get statehood.

Blacks in the church becoming unPC, holding them down from the priesthod?

Wait a minute!

Incoming!

A faith that changes with the winds of politics isn't a faith.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Studies show that over 27,000 words from the Bible are in the Book of Mormon, many transcribed word for word, verse for verse.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

LOL! Ms. Macy said the EXACT same thing! not 'may' need, but WILL need.

Reply to
RobertMacy

You overrate yourself, son. All of us are sinners and fall short of the glory of God. You will not be anything special in the afterlife. You will be judged for your sins and beliefs. You will be either right or wrong.

What if we all get up there and find out that the religion that worships cows is the only true and correct one, and we get an extra 10,000 years in the burner for each cheeseburger we ate?

Ya makes ya bets, ya takes ya chances. We all hope we are right. I just don't believe anything that changes every week, or goes against itself for politics.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

why the American continent, and not at the temple in Jerusalem?

Reply to
RobertMacy

While perhaps I can, I certainly wasn't going to drive 700 miles to help my daughter get her iPhone back. In addition, I was not going to suggest to my daughter that she and her friends go to the house and demand the phone.

It was hard to tell from the app if it was in the house, in a car parked next to the house or on the ground next to the house. The map location was slightly to the right of the actual house. There was a large open yard next to the house and it appeared that the phone might have been in that yard. It was stationary for about 12 hours next to the house, then it moved to a parking lot a few miles away where it was once again stationary for hours before it went off-line.

AFAIK the folks that returned the phone had nothing to do with the house where it sat for a while. The "nice folks" were simply the ones who found the phone and called the number I put on the screen - unless she was lying to me and had the phone for two months and then finally decided it was of no use to her since it was locked. I doubt that. I can't imagine a thief - or even a innocent "finder" - hanging on to the phone for 2 months and then deciding to call. A finder would call as as soon as they could (as in this case) and a thief would probably just toss the phone in a parking lot (as it appears to be in this case).

I've used the GPS feature of SWMBO's Droid to keep track of her when she's on long road trips. She drives very slow and even though she calls to check in every now and then, it takes her so much longer than most people that I get nervous. I "check in" via the GPS tracker every now and then just to make sure she's still on route and moving.

One time I "found" her on a small state road instead of the interstate. I waited until I saw the phone stop and then called her and asked her if she was lost. She was surprised that I knew but then humorously called me a stalker.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm operating on a testimony through the Spirit. Not sure what you're on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You'd think I would know that kind of thing. But, I'm not sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Next, please study the duplication in the King James Version. That might be a cult, too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon