OT Tilt steering wheels and ice

OT?

Didn't they start putting switches to turn off the air bags on the right side of cars in case the passenger was short?

Sometimes, especially on very short trips, I don't tilt my tilt steering wheel back down, and drive it like it was a bus (or a truck?).

In the snow today, it occurred to me that now the steering wheel points much higher, and it's like i'm short.

So if I skid into something and the bag goes off, is it going to break my neck?

I'm serious.

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Air bags can be stupid. I sit far back, not like these idiots hunched over the steering wheel. A dumb kid drove out from the side and I T-boned his car. Both bags went off. Not too much damage to the car. Since both bags deployed my car was totaled. Too expensive to fix. The bag never touched me. Then the crazy white powder from the bags was all in the air and I couldn't see to move my car to the side of the road.

Reply to
Lisa BB.

It will pop your head off like it was a champagne cork. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The air bag deploys at such a rapid rate, your head will never get to the airbag before it is totally inflated, unless your face is within a few inches of the airbag. You'll be fine.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

They are deadly and should be gotten rid of. They are just accidents waiting to happen.

Reply to
LSMFT

Happened to me. Totaled car and if only one bag had went off as on recent models (mine was a '98) it probably would have been salvageable.

I did not fault the bag as woman hit me head on and bag and belt saved me from injury except for bruise from belt. Woman was hospitalized with back problems.

I think biggest caution for drivers is not to put their hands on top of wheel as airbag could throw your arms into your face causing injuries to both arms and face.

Reply to
Frank

Aw shucks, there goes another good urban legend.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yeah, and they should do away with those stupid seat belts also.

Ron

We bought an '08 van for peanuts from an insurance company earlier in the year - they were going to junk it because it had hit a deer and both front bags had deployed, which made the cost to repair it too high in their eyes (about $800 in replacement parts and spray-work, about $1000 to put the stupid bags right)

Our insurance company were happy to insure it liability-only with no bags, though (and we only ever put basic liability on any of our vehicles anyway, so not loss to us there). I've got a little bit of black electrical tape over the airbag warning light :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Never, ever hide your cocaine in those bags. You should've known better.

Reply to
Moffit

Smitty Two wrote in news:prestwhich- snipped-for-privacy@mx01.eternal-september.org:

duh

Reply to
Earl

Not everybody can sit far back. Short people have to sit closer than the 10" minimum considered safe. Either that, or get those pedal extenders, which may or may not be safe.

As to air bags, in my one & only injury accident, the air bag probably saved my life.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

And all that useless padding. Look at all the weight that could be saved removing all that stuff.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yes, I've done that for a while now. It made it easier to get out and in, even when I wasn't fat. I'm not sure why.

I don't want that. I like my neck the way it is. I'll stop pretending I'm a bus driver. Thanks, and thanks for all the helpful replies.

To the spammer, Harry, I only thought of this the day it was icy, and I haven't driven with the steering wheel up since.

Reply to
mm

I'd take out the gas tank first. There's a 100lbs of useless liquid in there.

Reply to
krw

ere.- Hide quoted text -

And it renders to vehicle totally safe!!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My car is fairly low to the ground. I must tilt the steering wheel UP or I can't get into the car. That's why the tilted wheel is there!

Reply to
RobertPatrick

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And hood ornaments to poke our eyes out.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Or do a very good job of emasculation.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Why is it that hood ornmaments like that are illegal on new cars, but I thing you can still install them on your own car? Can you still do that?

(Yes I know it's your own car, but I don't think it matters.)

Reply to
mm