OT Survey

I have been learning how to properly seal travel trailers. Don't use silicone. Don't use dynaflex 230 . I have been using a gutter sealer bought at the home depot. It's in the gutter section. It comes out silver. Can be used in water rather quick, but dries over a couple days. It stays slightly flexible. I think the small hand tube is also silver. Really this stuff seems much like plumbers goop, but smells different. Is uv resistant but I paint a polymer over it. Seems there is always something good to use, and I end up using something that does not work in the long run.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The gutters expand and contract with temperature changes, plus some loading with water puts some strain. Take a thin piece of aluminum, such as from a soda can, lay that over top of the seam. Apply silicone on the seam and at the two sides of the patch.

Even better would be a piece of rubber membrane for the patch so it can flex.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you are asking why caulk on the outside doesn't work, here are my thoughts. Caulk can never have what is referred to as 3 point adhesion. It is designed to be applied to each of 2 sides but NOT in the middle. Professionals use bond breaker tape or backer rod (which functions as a bond breaker) in joints. The cured caulk joint should have a rectangular profile. I'm sure you've seen the samples at the register that invite you to pull, twist, tug, etc. Look carefully at the material shape and application. Caulk is usually rated on its elongation and its bond properties. I think that your gutter application would do better if you put bond breaker tape over the joint and concentrated on a clean and substantial application on each side of the joint over the top of the tape.

Reply to
DanG

Not too many but I've seen some.

Reply to