OT sticky yellow plastic

CB or FRS? Only a couple incidences where I'd prefer a walky over a phone. Where there is spotty or no cell coverage, and when out of local calling area where "constant contact" would get expensive. Generally in those (the latter) situations I just text. .

Reply to
clare

I think the Armor All did the job. Feels more normal, now.

Situation three: communicating with a worker who does not have a cell phone. I've done that.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a pair of FRS radios that I have had for a decade and never turned on. I always thought they would be handy if my wife and I got separated hiking in the wilderness but she never gets more than 100 feet from me (after that did happen once in Alaska).

Reply to
gfretwell

409 fantastic etc.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I've had plenty of equipment failures. Including FRS walkies. It's my personal experience that you'd be wise to try out the radios some day.

  • Old nicads might not hold a charge
  • You don't presently know if alkaline batteries work, and for how long.
  • I've met a lot of people who have bad radio procedure. The talk into the speaker, hold the radio out a foot and expect it to "hear" what you are saying, they forget to release the TX button, and the list goes on.
  • I've had radios that simply do not transmit audio, and some that don't receive.
  • The quiet codes can be a nightmare to program.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I tried "Simple Green". No better.

Day two, or maybe three. The radio got two doses of Armor All. And it feels much more like new soft plastic. The sticky has gone away. Thank you to all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Plastics get old and sometimes plasticizers, if used, will bleed. Maybe a mild solvent wipe say dilute isopropanol and absorbent like talc may make it feel better.

Reply to
Frank

No batteries required. No plastic. To transmit, put it to your lips. To receive, put it to your ear. When it's break time, put a cork in it and fill it with your favorite beverage. If another company shows up at your fire, use it as a weapon. At bedtime, put a bulb in it and use it as a lamp.

Reply to
J Burns