OT sticky yellow plastic

I've got an old Radio Shack FRS walkie talkie. The yellow soft plastic is sticky. I tried Simple Green, no better. Now trying Armor All, which also doesn't seem to help.

The soft yellow side is worse than the hard black side. Any ideas how to make it less sticky?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now there's a straight line... I've had the some thing with motorcycle and bicycle grips. I never figured out what caused the rubber to get sticky but the fix was replacing the grips. I tried putting talc on them. It was messy and did last too long.

Reply to
rbowman

Razor blade ro peal the yucky layer off.

Possibly alcohol might work first.

Reply to
clare

Sprinkle dirt dust on it.

I'm sure you mean did not last too long. Not is the most ofen omitted word on the net, according to me.

Maybe you used too much and made it messy. How long did it last?

Maybe you could have washed off or brushed off the excess.

Maybe a different kind of dust.

My only real experience with this was mailing a check, and I wanted to tape the envelope closed, but found the only tape handy was two-sided-sticky. So IIRC I got some dust somewhere, maybe dried mud or soil and let that take up all the sticky spots. Worked fine for the

10 minutes to go to the post office.
Reply to
micky

Is not!

The letter "T" is very ofen missing, though. (-:

Reply to
Robert Green

I'd try mineral spirits.

Reply to
nestork

Or WD-40

Then degrease.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The material is reverting back to its ancestrial form-crude oil. So while you may be able to scrape, peel, or coat to a solution, it will be temporary.

I had an X terminal where 2 of the 4 feet turned to ooze. Never understood why just 2 because all 4 were subject to the same light. temperature, and humidity swings. Best guess is that only those feet were making contact with the wire shelf it was sitting on.

Fake ID

Bother, I did think of talc powder. Guess that won't last too long?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Center posted like your reply. Another email friend of mine said he did try alcohol on a sticky walkie talkie he has, but it peeled off a layer of some thing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was thinking talc powder, might do that next. It's morning after spraying the sticky yellow plastic with Armor All. It's less sticky, but sill slightly so. I will probably give it the full 24 or so hours, and see how it goes. Might give it another squirt of Armor All.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Applied how? Some on a soft cloth, and rub it over?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Degrease how? With mineral spirits?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Might be nothing I can do about it, at least nothing that will last very long? I wonder if I can get the yellow plastic off some how, and spray it with clear spray paint?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Acetone would probably take it off but I suspect it would continue to deteriorate.

Reply to
dadiOH

Stormy,

Any reason why you can't coat the thing with something non-sticky? Since yellow is ugly anyway, I'd coat it with black paint. Get a can of spray paint. Be sure you clean all the talcum powder off before you paint.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I was also thinking spray paint. In this case, the walkie is about three by four inches. I'm not sure if the plastic comes off. To just spray it over would take a Japanese Rice Writer to do the masking. There is a window for the channel and codes, a couple buttons, and little holes for the mic and speaker. I don't have that level of skill.

It would be nice if the soft sticky plastic came off, but I doubt it.

The day after, it's less sticky after application of a bit of Armor All (not masked, just sprayed and later wiped off).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I tried the Armor All last night, maybe 8 PM. Today another spray, and then wipe, about 9 AM.

Noon, it's much better. Not totally perfect, but at least it doesn't give me the mental impression that I dipped the plastic in a sticky pot of some kind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Something sticky, a assume.

Reply to
clare

Throw the cheap piece of crap in the garbage and buy one that isn't soft-touch and won't turn into gum

Reply to
clare