OT: Sobriety test

Is it true that in America a cop will ask you to recite your alphabet backwards to test if you're drunk? I can't do that, not quickly and without a lot of thought anyway!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yes, it's true...but they don't really expect anyone to recite the alphabet backwards, they are just waiting for the statement:

"Heck, I can't even do that sober."

Reply to
philo

I don't know because I've never been stopped for that. However, you could test it by driving to your local police department and park in their parking lot. Pop open a bottle of your favorite booze and down about six or eight shots. After you've given the spirits a little time to work approach the next available officer and ask him.

If possible, it would be really nice if you could have a friend film this for us so we could all know the answer.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That would catch me out. I'd respond like that if I was sober! I'd be trying to tell him that I couldn't do it when sober, and mistakenly make him think that I wasn't.

Anyway, our cops aren't clever enough to do a trick like that. I actually asked a traffic cop if it was a slow crime day as they were spot safety checking loads of cars. He said "I'm not qualified to solve crimes".

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Many years ago I was stopped by a cop on the way home from an office party. I was probably not over the limit, but I had two beers.

He asked if I knew why he stopped me and I said, "no."

When he said I was speeding I agreed at once.

Probably the happiest speeding ticket I ever got.

Since then I've 100% quit drinking.

Reply to
philo

I was stopped for weaving once and the cop asked if I had been drinking. I said I had a beer with dinner but that was a while ago. He asked if I minded "blowing" and I said no. They make you wait 20 minutes to be sure the do not get a bad result from residual alcohol in your mouth. Twenty minutes later I blew a 0.0 The cop got mad at me for wasting his time. I told him that I said it was "one beer a while ago". It wasn't my fault he didn't believe me. I was happy he didn't pursue the "weaving" because I was hiding my illegal radar detector (Virginia) ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

You're lucky that cop was not gay !!!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

On 3/8/2016 5:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: we could all know the answer.

Got stopped for the same thing here in CT. He even asked about the radar detector but never looked for it. Had to walk a line. No problem, last drink I had was a few days earlier. I also once got a $40 ticket for it.

Now they are legal to have, but with new laser technology I don't know if anything is reliablr for detection..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Unfortunately I'm not in America just now, I was just wondering incase I holidayed there.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

One of my friends was pulled over for suspected drunk driving.

The cop asks him if he can "walk the line". (Heel to toe placement on the shoulder marker line.)

So my friend says: "Sure, which one?".

Reply to
Mike Duffy

I've driven home on 7 beers. I stuck precisely to the limit and was not stopped.

I find saying "Sorry was I going a bit fast?" gets you off the speeding ticket and they find something smaller to charge you with.

And in Scotland you can point out that only liveried vehicles are allowed to stop you for speeding :-)

They should give you points on your license (does America do that?) for crashing, not doing something which might make you crash.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

On 03/08/2016 08:04 PM, Mr Macaw wrote: ng.

Due to having no infractions, my insurance rate is very low, that's reward enough.

Reply to
philo

Would you blow a cop to get let off with an offence?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Mr Macaw

They were never any good. I got my first one in 1998, they sucked then. The only thing that works is a satnav with a database of where the cameras (and spots they like to hide mobile cameras) are. In France, that is illegal too! But the satnav makers got round it by not marking them as cameras, but "safety zones" or some such thing.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The problem with all of this "instant on" technology is , if the cop is not too trigger happy, you don't even hear the shot before he got you. If he is just lazy and shoots every car on the road, your detector might help you as long as you are back in the pack. Since they ended the double nickel, I really do not have that much trouble.

Reply to
gfretwell

Per Mr Macaw:

A blonde walks into a bank in New York City and tells the loan officer that she's going to Europe on business for two weeks and needs to borrow $5,000. The loan officer says the bank will need some kind of security for the loan, so the blonde hands over the keys to a new Rolls-Royce, which is parked in front of the bank. She has the title and everything checks out, so the bank agrees to accept the car as collateral for the loan. As the blonde leaves with the money, the bank's president and officers enjoy a good laugh at someone using a $250,000 Rolls as collateral against a $5,000 loan. An employee moves the Rolls into the bank's underground garage and parks it. Two weeks later the blonde returns and repays the $5,000 and the interest, which comes to $15.41. As he hands the keys back to the blonde, the loan officer says, "Miss, we are very happy to have had your business, and the transaction has worked out very nicely. But we are a little puzzled. While you were away, we checked your records and found that you are a multi-millionaire. Why would you bother to borrow $5,000?" The blonde replies, "Where else in New York City can I park my car for two weeks for only $15.41 and expect it to be there when I return?"

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Back in the early radar days -arly-mid seventies,. I had a Royce CB in the Fargo thatbeeped any time I was within a mile or 2 of ANY radar. % or more miles from airport radar if I was on a high spot. On the highway the Fargo wasn't a big danger speed-wise, but when there were reduced speed sections it did come in handy a few times. Detectors are 100% illegal here in Ontario - not just to use, but to posess.

Reply to
clare

Smart blonde!

Reply to
Muggles

I always assumed a laser jammer was probably the easiest to do and a little harder to be arrested for. They are really only seeing the reflected signal so it would not take too much power to overwhelm that with random noise in the same general band of modulation. You might have to figure out what the wavelength of the laser they are using but it is down in the IR range so they won't see your beam. If your "jam" is strong enough you will drive their input amp into saturation and they won't see anything. I have heard that if you have a flat black nose on your car, no front tag and retracted headlights, there is not much to shoot at.

Reply to
gfretwell