OT: Sobriety test

I do wonder a little about all of this laser stuff. If a pilot is so distracted by a flash of laser light, how is he going to deal with a fire in the cockpit or some other thing we think they can handle?

OTOH maybe we should just drop 50 cent laser pointers to the Kurds and let them bring down all of those Russian fighters,

Reply to
gfretwell

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 01:59:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Being blinded is a bit more than a distraction. Pilots like to be able to see their instruments and see the ground out the window.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A couple decades ago, I'd heard some where about military pilots blinded by lasers. Retina problems that render them unable to fly. Or permanant blind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe if you are talking about some kind of industrial laser but we are usually talking about a laser pointer. If these were that dangerous, they would have been banned years ago. You certainly would not have them flashing around classrooms where our kids are sitting and we would have millions of blind cats every year..

Reply to
gfretwell

I used to work in a UK school, and at one point they were banned. This rule was ignored. I don't think it was law as I can't find anything on the internet about it, probably a local council being stupid.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

All mine ever picked up were taxis, tractors, and petrol stations.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

That would certainly discourage them from asking me to sit in the back of their car while they booked me.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

That doesn't make sense. The police were out of their mind. They booked him for something he hadn't done, after several tests. Why didn't he get compensation from them? And since he's disabled, play the discrimination card and get the cops fired.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Err.... nipples are for kids. Adults sucking nipples is a bit weird.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Which a laser pointer doesn't do, any more than someone driving towards you with sidelights on.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

theres a easy answer to prevent drunk driving, and unsafe driving in general

all new vehicles will have cameras monitoring the driver, and all activities of the vehicle.

cars will self report, calling the police for help if the driver is driving poorly, weaving, speeding, going too slow etc etc.

if anyone tries to tamper with the system. the vehicle will be disabled.....

Reply to
bob haller

Per Bod:

My understanding is that the USA is the only country in the developed world that has a major political party (the Republicans) that engages in global warming denial.

I am not sure what countries qualify as "Developed", but it would seem that includes all of Europe.

Certainly neither China nor India engage in global warming denial.

Maybe South Africa? Zimbabwe? Somalia?

Maybe somebody from another developed country can comment on that.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

They tend to deny that the cyclical warming of the earth is due to man.

Reply to
SeaNymph

republicans are primarily the party of the wealthy, and buy congress denial of global warming.

they will get concerned when the super wealthy wall streeters get their 10 grand shoes wet, and are forced to go to work in boats

Reply to
bob haller

Per SeaNymph:

Can somebody list some countries in that category?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Your first statement is truly laughable. Are you implying that democrats are not doing everything in their power to protect their wealth?

Hell, Clinton is owned by Wall Street. LOL

Reply to
SeaNymph

Big Brother is wrong. Idiot.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Big Brother is ungood :-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

If that actually happened, which it won't. And if it does it won't be due to us.

Reply to
Mr Macaw