OT, Snow!

yikes! That's still a lot of snow and mud!

Reply to
Muggles

I suppose I could get used to that... don't think it's as hard up there because everyone is probably used to it and driving in it, unlike around here where a deep snow only happens once every 5 or 10 years.

Reply to
Muggles

Centigrade right? -40 is the same in both and is damn cold. -20C is -4F and that's seldom a problem unless you've got an older car.

Reply to
rbowman

So, how many layers of clothes do those kind of temps require? Here, it's been below 20° and once it got down to 5°. I usually have 3 layers on and I'm good with that.

Reply to
Muggles

I was in a small hotel just off the strip - I was there for ComDex

Reply to
clare

I was converting to F for all you metricly challenged Yanks and Rebs.

Reply to
clare

Underwear, regular outer clothing and a GOOD down filled coat does the job. On real cold days flannel lined jeans over longjohns are a welcome addition - or a pair of snowmobile pamts. if you are out in the wind for any time.. Sometimes a good sweater under the coat.

Reply to
clare

A coolant or block heater is more than adequate. Dipstick heaters were just "emergency" heaters for cars without block heaters, battery warmers were good too, but with PMGR starters only taking less than half the current old bendix style starters used, we don't see as many of them, at least here in the "interlaken" district of central Ontario. Northern Alberta, and even Ottawa are a bit different.

Reply to
clare

The first significant snowfall of the year is retraining time. The important point to remember is a 4WD vehicle sliding on ice hits just as hard as a 2WD and a 4WD vehicle high centered on a berm is just as useless as a 2WD.

Reply to
rbowman

"all 4wd does is gets you farther from help"

Reply to
clare

A couple depending. If I'm going out in the woods, wool pants, a flannel shirt, and an insulated Carhartt jacket. I'm not standing around admiring the scenery so that's enough. Going to town I have a Columbia parka that does a good job but I might throw a fleece jacket under it.

20 is t-shirt weather :) It's supposed to get up into the 30's tomorrow so I'll be out sunbathing. The good thing about below zero is it's usually to dry to snow. They're predicting snow and freezing rain for tomorrow and Monday.
Reply to
rbowman

Those flannel lined jeans over longjohns sound awesome!

Reply to
Muggles

If ice is on the roads I don't go anywhere. If there's some snow and it's not too deep I can usually make my way to the main roads that have been cleared. The City never clears the neighborhood roads.

Reply to
Muggles

We ordered a pizza a couple nights ago and it was below 20° at the time the man delivered it in shorts and a t-shirt!! I asked about his attire and he said the temps didn't bother him. I just don't understand how some people don't feel the cold. Our neighbors son was the same way growing up.

Reply to
Muggles

Gotta be carefull if you are going out to work, like shovelling snow

- you get sweated and THEN you get COLD - no matter what you are wearing.

Reply to
clare

As long as there is less than 8 inches of snow on the road, the Ranger gets through. The Taurus handles 4 inches with no problem - at six I'd rather leave it in the driveway. Snow tires on both. Ranger RWD, Taurus FWD. I stay OFF the main roads when it gets snowy because I know what I can handle, and don't need to deal with those who don't.

Reply to
clare

My favorite 4WD find was an Eddie Bauer Explorer. My reconstruction is the guy drove around a tight switchback and found he couldn't make it up the grade on the other side. Admitting defeat he tried to turn around. The switchback was there to accommodate a gulch in the hillside, and, unfortunately he managed to drive off the road, going about 20' down the steep gulch backwards. That must have been fun. Being an intrepid explorer, the truck was equipped with a Warn winch. He ran the winch cable out, tied off to a sturdy pine, and all was good. Until the winch cable snapped, that is. At that point he must have walked back to town and decided to wait until spring to retrieve it.

I'd hit a deep drift about a quarter mile down the road and had parked the bike so I was on foot.

Reply to
rbowman

Ice is a fact of life around here so I run studs. I'm on a school bus route so they do plow -- except when the schools are on Christmas break. The road has two 90 degree 20 mph curves where it follows old property lines. They are bad enough in the summer and result in some interesting parking places in the winter.

Reply to
rbowman

Flannel lined jeans have one problem -- wet cotton sucks the heat right out of you.

Reply to
rbowman

So far I haven't had to shovel any snow! woohoo!

Reply to
Muggles