OT, Snow!

I looked out into the courtyard yesterday afternoon and there it was. That rare thing for The South which causes complete chaos when it shows up. Kind of like a herd of toddlers coming for a visit. ?(?? ??)?

.html

[8~{} Uncle Snow Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

We got up and there it was yesterday ... right now it's 7?F and my wife just called in to work because the snow melted and refroze into ice on the roads . The neighbor almost slid off our dirt road yesterday afternoon down into the "ravine" . We ain't goin' nowhere until the roads are cleared .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Go hunker down in your safe space, Cupcake.

I live in northern Michigan. We get almost daily snow and/or ice from November through March. Never missed a day of work because of it.

Reply to
Frosty

Big whoop.

I live in the CO Rockies @ 8K elev. There's a foot of snow on the ground, it's

-12F, outside, and we gotta drive 100 miles at 7am.

I got yer "cupcake" swingin'. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Oh do please f*ck off . The difference is that up there y'all are prepared for snow and ice . It's a rare enough occurence here that we don't have a fleet of snowplows to keep the roads clear . It might be 3 or 4 days before the county's road graders make it down here to our dirt road . If I really really had to get out I have chains , but just so Walmart can make a buck on the wife's labor isn't worth the effort . And BTW , I grew up in snow country , and have no qualms about driving on snow-covered roads . But up here they get iced , and winding mountain roads are dangerous .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm a sherpa on Mount Everest and...oh nevermind.

Reply to
Bill

Head out to Colorado sometime if you get a chance. One can drive for a half hour or so then look down to see where you were at the start. Then maybe cruise down to the Four Corners area. You'll see some of the best scenery in the world.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If the snow has stopped and roads clear, not that big a deal. If still snowing, I don't do thing like that any more. There is nothing that can happen in my life that cannot be postponed. Especially work. I'm semi-retired and see no reason to drive to work in the snow these days.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We got a dusting of the white stuff Thursday.

Reply to
Muggles

All the main roads here are clear, but, pavement that's in the shadows and side streets that weren't treated still have a dusting of snow on it. When I drove the truck this morning all the snow on it just blew off, and the truck looked like a dust storm going down the road until all the dusting of snow had blown off.

Reply to
Muggles

Driving a snow covered car is illegal in many states. That dust storm can blind other drivers, hard packed snow can do damage. But maybe you had a good reason and not just lazy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's my husbands truck, and it's big. I got as much off of it that I could reach. It didn't have much on it to begin with, and most of the stuff that flew off of it was what I wiped off the windshield. I was sort of surprised that the snow was as lightweight as it was and really didn't expect it to blow off like it did. It was one of those "whoa!" moments, and it really didn't last that long.

Reply to
Muggles

I could say the same. Of course, Thanksgiving weekend is when I traditionally put the studs on and they come off sometime in the spring about the time I put the batteries back in the bikes and fire them up.

I've been in Atlanta when they got a couple of inches of snow. It wasn't pretty.

Reply to
rbowman

Pussy. We had -19 Wednesday morning, missing the record by 2 degrees. We also just missed the record for the coldest high temperature for January. This global warming really sucks. This is supposed to be the Montana Banana Belt not frigging North Dakota.

Reply to
rbowman

Snowplows? This state is very religious. God put the snow there and He will remove it in his own sweet time.

Reply to
rbowman

Yikes! How often do people have trouble starting their vehicles at those temps?

Reply to
Muggles

Lets face it, half of them can't drive PERIOD. What I noticed most about the "city of lost wages" in November when I was there 20 odd years ago was the SIRENS. Cop sirens, fire sirens, ambulance sirens -

24 hours a day, constantly, one after the other or fighting to be heard over each other. Never heard such a racket before or since.
Reply to
clare

We had over a foot before Christmas - then got a thaw that knocked that down by half - and another 8 inches after New Years - with half an inch at a time since.. My brother up between Huntsville and Parry sound says there is 5 feet in places, but they can't open the snowmobile trails because the swamps are not frozen - he spent 5 hours getting his machine out of the mud when he was out monitoring the trails through his propeerty last week.

Reply to
clare

When it gets down to -40 things turn over pretty slowly. At -20, with winter oil and a good battery, generally not a problem starting. Transmissions and differentials are a bit stiff and sluggish for a few miles, and the springs and shocks complain, giving you a rough ride for your troubles, but we get used to it - - -

Reply to
clare

It's gotten better. My Toyota coughed a couple of times and then started. One factor is a smaller 4 cylinder engine filled with lighter oil, the other is FI. It certainly does sort out marginal batteries though.

The other approach is some sort of block heater. A lot of pickups with larger V8 engines have receptacles dangling from their grilles and are plugged in at night. Back in the '70s we set up a plant in Minnesota and it seldom got above -20. When I checked in to the motel I noticed each room had an exterior receptacle. My rental wasn't equipped but the local contractors all jumped out of their pickups with an extension cord to plug them in.

Even when the vehicle starts it's fun driving. Manual transmissions are difficult to shift until the gear oil gets warmed up and the shocks are stiff so the ride is harsh. It's better with radial tires but the old bias plies tended to have flat spots on the bottom that took some time to warm up and round out.

You get much below zero and everything turns into a project. I carry a Zippo in the winter just in case a lock freezes.

I've spent enough time in Arizona to realize that very high temps can be life threatening but it's the severe cold that makes me paranoid. Screw up and you die, it's that simple.

Reply to
rbowman