OT: Show of Hands

Has anyone changed their minds on the gun control issue? I have not, I'm still a supporter of the constitution and second amendment.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Per Ashton Crusher:

I would like to hear a panel of experts discuss why civilians not being allowed to procure semi-automatic rifles or pistols would be such a hardship.

I expect there are some reasons, and could postulate a few myself

- but I'd like to hear them discussed by people who know.

The ban on civilians owning fully-automatic weapons and hand grenades seems to have been effective long-term - so I'm guessing other bans are practicable - of not necessarily desirable.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I'd accept a ban on civilians owning any guns at all. What I wouldn't accept is a ban on law abiding civilians owning guns while leaving illegal guns in possession of the bad guys.

An unenforceable gun ban hurts only the good guys. You can't take guns away from the bad guys any more than you can enforce a drug embargo. There's just too much money to be made.

And there's a way to test this. Just make it illegal for convicted felons to own guns and take them away. Wait...we already do that... Guess there really aren't any repeat offenders.

Reply to
mike

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in news:enj6e853vb3peih5cbbn3et39ru4s3nhou@

4ax.com:

Whether it's a hardship or not is irrelevant. The burden of proof should be on those who hope to control crime by placing restrictions on law-abiding citizens.

Reply to
Doug Miller

mike wrote in news:kbvkji$71l$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I wouldn't -- because any such ban inevitably results in what you describe below:

The problem is that "the bad guys" won't obey the law.

Exactly so.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'd like it legal for anyone to own guns (while not incarcerated). But, illegal to shoot others, or shoot at others.

.

And there's a way to test this. Just make it illegal for convicted felons to own guns and take them away. Wait...we already do that... Guess there really aren't any repeat offenders.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I changed my mind. When I was a kid, I thought gun control and pistol permits were a good idea. As I grew into an adult, I change my mind.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For posting stupid OT in this group:

/ \ |\_/| |---| | | | | _ |=-=| _ _ / \| |/ \ / \| | | ||\ | | | | | \>

| | | | | \ | - - - - |) ) | / \ / \ / \ / \ / | |

Reply to
notbob

Including "the bad guys" in government.

There is also the issue of defending your home from a break in. With a gun, advantage homeowner. Without, advantage thug.

Reply to
krw

That's certainly a reasonable approach if it weren't for one thing, the second amendment doesn't permit infringing. Lots of people get libeled and slandered every year. Would you feel it appropriate to discuss how we can institute a system of licensing and regulation of peoples speech to make sure that doesn't continue to happen. You may think it's a silly suggestion but in the UK, where they have no constitution at all, they have prior censorship of the media by the gvt and they have penalties for printing/reporting certain things, even if those things are true.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Would you say the gvt can do that without violating the second amendment? Or are you suggesting the second amendment be removed?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I wonder why that hasn't been tired yet....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

those who hope

I would add that before even discussing it something needs to be done in regard to the second amendment. Otherwise there's no point to the discussion.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If Biden had his way originally on the assault weapon ban he would have banned my Remington 1100 semi-automatic shotgun which I have owned for over 40 years and have harvested a variety of game as well as thousands of clay pigeons.

Reply to
Frank

Kinda makes self defense moot, no?

Reply to
krw

I'll give you one good reason. I prefer to be at least as well armed as a intruder may be.

If you don't want to have a gun that is your choice.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

+1
Reply to
PV

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'd like to see it (2nd) strictly enforced. ".....shall not be infringed. "

.

I would add that before even discussing it something needs to be done in regard to the second amendment. Otherwise there's no point to the discussion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you have no self control? Do you not know how to use your newsreader to filter? I believe the problem lies with *you*

Reply to
ChairMan