OT Repairing scratched eyeglasses

Thanks for all the tips but they aren't that bad so I guess I'll live with it for now..The glasses are about 5 years old and I don't have the script as they were made right at the eye doctors..They are invisaline bifocals..I got them right after I had cataract surjury on my right eye...The left one needs it now so I need to go back anyway...Probably do it in the spring...Again thanks everyone...

Reply to
benick

I suppose you could stop scratching them, and start cleaning them correctly. I'll never understand why people will usually take good care of camera lenses, but they'll abuse their eyeglasses, which often cost more than a camera.

Right way to clean eyeglasses: Plenty of warm water, and a cotton ball with a drop or two of dishwashing liquid or plain liquid hand soap (not one which contains skin conditioner). Dry with a wipe made for camera lenses.

If you keep these wipes clean and uncontaminated by debris, they're reusable for eyeglasses.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Watch the commercials for that stuff closely.

After they swab the stuff on the glasses, you can CLEARLY see that they are STILL SCRATCHED.

All the stuff does is wet the surface of the lens down so that it's not obvious that they're scratched to the camera, but when the light hits them just right, you can see they're just as bad as ever.

Reply to
mkirsch1

You have some cheap-assed camera!

People don't take the same care of them because they're used more often and get forgotten.

It's not the cleaning that scratches mine. It's that 15' fall to the rocks below that does it every time. Of course the trip through the laundry didn't help the other pair.

Overkill. All you need is a soft cloth. I generally use micro-fiber cloths from the dollar store.

Reply to
krw

I have this bridge......

Reply to
notbob

I haven't tried it on specs, but motorcycle shops sell a spray and buff kind of stuff for taking scratches out of helmet visors.

Reply to
kimosabe

Why do you say that? 20/400 vision, wacko astigmatism. Only one place in Rochester NY has ever been able to make lenses which don't make the world look like a funhouse mirror. They're expensive. I take really good care of them.

So, about that bridge....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

$39.50

Please describe your job, and how it relates to expertise in optics.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I bought a bottle of some liquid stuff that you painted on. It sort of worked but it dried too fast to fully self level.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I have prescription bifocal sunglasses which I wear every day for driving. Over the past four years the surfaces have become quite scratched to the point of creating "clouds" in front of my eye.

Faced with the same situation as you, I purchased a bottle of Meguire's plastic scratch repairing liquid ($5 at WalMart) and with a little elbow grease and some time I did two applications and they are now a LOT better. Not perfect mind you, but a heck of a lot better. When I have time I will apply several more applications to get them even better.

I've also read that the headlight lens restorer kit works well too.

Good luck.

Reply to
bobmct