ot Printer found with time set for Atlantic Ocaan

Okay. The ink says it works for HP.

Sorry about that. I'll try to be smarter.

Reply to
micky

That might be it. My parents would not approve, and on some things, I go by their rules. Plus it's fun.

I had a prilnter when I found the previous one. Then the first printer broke. It says there's a paper jam but I can't find any paper, and I can't find the sensors that think there is paper.

Do you know what the sensors look like? If I coudl find the bad one, if it had 2 wire, I could short them or cut one, and see which got rid of the "paper jam alert".

Good point.

Reply to
micky

I spent time before my next to last trip trying to write a bat file that I would put on the scheduler which would print a test copy on the Brother printer and then turn the computer off.

I got most of it done but ran out of time. So no one used the Brother for almost 3 mnt hs and it still worked fine when I got home. Based on what I'd been taught, I was amazed. I don't remember if the Epson did the same before it broke.

Reply to
micky

;-)

:-)

You're a good step-brother.

Reply to
micky

Excxept HP used all 4 different types of ink in different printers. If the ink is transparent you can't use opaque ink and vise versa. - just for starters.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

COMMON issue on a LOT of "consumer grade" printers - and even HP Mid line printers which is why I characterised them as either "crap shoot" or "pile of crap". I've scrapped dosens of printers with "phantom paper jams" - and had a good number replaced while they were still under warranty with the issue.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If it ruins the cartridge, so be it. I have this ink and I'm not buying more ink and ignoring this ink.

Reply to
micky

So are you saying it's in the processor and not a paper sensor? Aren't there also paper sensors and that could be where the problem is?

Reply to
micky

My guess it is a sensor or a feed problem but if it affects a bunch of new printers it could be a design problem. They look for the sensor to be covered a some points in the cycle and clear in others. If they are cutting that window too close you will get phantom paper jams. The paper may just not be where it is supposed to be when the processor expects it to be and still not jammed.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have yet to find one where there was actually a problem with the sensor - other than a few where there was actually torn paper "jamming" the thing. The VAST majority were "phantom paper jams" - a few of which would spontaneously resolve for an hour, or a day, or a week - but always eventually came back permanently. It was to the point when they were being replaced under warranty they didn't even want the old ones back or even proof of destruction

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Well, in that case, I might as well throw it away. There is a place very near here that takes computers for recycling. I think they wanted printers too. (Their website says.) If they won't take it, the trash.

The new printer, so far, seems not able to do color, only black. The level meter shows a yellow exlamation mark for color. I added some ink but that made no difference. I'm going to clean the cartridge contacts, but the machine doesn't suggest that.

Still, I rarely print anything in color, and it has a great scanner and I was going to scan a lot this month, maybe. So I'll save it for a while. I have lots of black ink for it.

Reply to
micky

I recently bought a Brother All-In-One to replace an Epson that kept giving me trouble. The Brother wakes up every now and then and cleans its own heads. The best the Epson ever did was "suggest" that I clean the heads after it wasted ink by creating a crappy printout.

The box says the Brother comes with a year's worth of ink, based on some estimate of pages printed. I don't print near as much as it expects, so I may not be buying ink for quite some time.

It's used more as a scanner than a printer/copier. I actually hooked up a phone cord today and tried it as a Fax machine. Works perfectly, but I don't need it. Some government agency needed some docs from me and the only options given by the guy on the phone was Fax or PO Box. I specifically asked him about uploading the docs to their website. He said that wasn't an option. Then I went to their website and there it was: Fax, PO Box, Upload.

I'm docking his pay by holding back some taxes.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Newer machines have some kind of chip in the ink cartridge that remembers it was empty and refilling it won't reset the empty signal. I am not sure of the details because I threw away my last ink jet around 1998. They were OK when I was getting them free from work. State Farm threw a hundred M-500 HPs in the trash in my patch alone. It was maybe the best ink jet at the time. Some agents refused to let theirs go but most took the latest and greatest color HP. Most of them regretted it. It was expensive ink that didn't last very long. When it came time to buy one, I got a Brother laser.

Reply to
gfretwell