OT Used printer paper

I often use paper that has been printed on one side to run through the printer and print, of course, on the blank side. Saves money. This used to work well. However, seems that recently the printer often stalls on some of this paper and I need to remove a few sheets. Evidently some of the paper has some damage that the printer doesn't like, likely where I have removed a staple holding several sheets together which resulted in a bit of damage to the paper at that point. Suggestions on smoothing tham out or removing a staple without causing the paper deformation? The cheap little staple remover can be replaced with something better?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

try feeding the used paper in the reverse way, so to speak.

In other words, instead of having the wrinkled, post-staple, corner at the "front" of the feed path, rotate it 180 degrees so that the grabber pulls the undamaged portion.

It's worked for me...

Reply to
danny burstein

+1
Reply to
Retirednoguilt

danny burstein snipped-for-privacy@panix.com wrote in news:r9jvl2$csk$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

Which end of the peper does the printer pull on? End towards or away from front of printer? I presume 'away'?

Reply to
KenK

I try to use both sides, usually .. but avoid using folded or damaged sheets - paper jams and mis-feeds just aren't worth it ! A brand-name package of 500 sheets runs about $ 7. and will last me about a year. How much " savings " are realized vs. the hassle and wear & tear of clearing paper jams .. My cheap Brother laser will suffer about 1 paper jam per year - when I don't catch the supply tray getting low - and it's down to the last few sheets. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Use paper clips instead of staples?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I use a cheap Samsung laser (M2825DW - no longer made). I use new paper in the supply tray but always feed already used on one side paper into the manual feed slot. I keep the supply tray between 1/2 and 1/4 filled. In 3 years, I've never had a jam even when doing long duplex printing jobs.

Reply to
Peter

KenK has brought this to us :

Even on printers meant to copy both sides, the fuser gets dirty and needs to be cleaned. The manual might have a section on maintenance and cleaning. I think isopropyl alcohol works, but it is best to use whatever they recommend in case the material reacts to alcohol.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

you just need more practice.   you'll be fine

Reply to
everclear190

I reuse paper too. Staple remover will mangle paper and I use a more tedious method of a knife straightening the two staple ends and then pulling the staple. If only a couple of sheets, it is not worth the bother to remove the staple this way but I will snip up the paper to use for things like shopping lists.

Reply to
Frank

So glad I'm not the only one who does this.

I use the old paper for crossword puzzles, I hate to solve them on-line

I have a laser printer and the toner costs me all of $20 a year or so

Reply to
philo

Sounds like a theoretical possibility. However, I've been doing it for more than a decade, on at least 4 different makes/models of laser printers and I've never had the type of problem you describe immediately above. I know my experience is merely anecdotal, but I doubt we could ever get the funding to do a statistically significant double blind controlled prospective study. :-)

Reply to
Peter

It does remind us that we should never use both sides of toilet paper.

Reply to
Frank

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:ZvgvG.101962$ snipped-for-privacy@fx38.iad:

Thanks! Good idea? I never thought of that. About as easy as stapling and they can be used over and over. I'll put a box of them on my shopping list.

Reply to
KenK