OT, Ping Wes Groleau

Hey Wes, remember when rocket ships all landed tail first in all the SciFi movies and TV shows we watched as kids? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:kuksrt $b8s$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

All of Ray Bradbury's books that mention rockets have the rockets doing the same thing. But then again, in his defense, he did deny being a "science fiction" writer, despite his reputation.

Reply to
Tegger

A lot of that stuff I watched as a kid has become Science Fact over the years. The original Star Trek had them using tablet computers and of course the communicators which resembled flip phones. I still want a phaser to get rid of some pests without leaving any evidence behind except, perhaps, a little pile of ash. ^_^

If a man can think it up, sooner or later mankind will make it a reality. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Well, they can crash, then can have chutes like Apollo, they can have sufficient wing to land like the Space Shuttle, or they can land like in the video. I see no other options with current technology.

I'm old enough to have watched Flash Gordon every week. Which is too old to remember how he landed.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

My all time favorite is "Forbidden Planet". The Earth ship was a cool flying saucer and there was a cute girl in it to get the blood pumping in young male SciFi fans. Of course there was Robbie The Robot who was my favorite character. It took 2 years to make the movie the movie and I believe it's the template for all the outer space movies that came after. At imdb there a trailer for the movie worth watching. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas