OT: Pi in the sky

You're not going to believe this:

Congresswoman Martha Roby (R-Ala.) is sponsoring HR 205, The Geometric Simplification Act, declaring the Euclidean mathematical constant of pi to be precisely 3. "That long-held empirical value of pi, I am not saying it should be necessarily viewed as wrong, but 3 is a lot better," said Roby, the 34- year old legislator representing Alabama's second congressional district, ushered into office in the historic 2010 Republican mid-term bonanza. Roby, raised in Montgomery, Ala., is on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, and the Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary Education. "It's no panacea, but this legislation will point us in the right direction. Looking at hard data, we know our children are struggling with a heck of a lot of the math, including the geometry incorporating pi," Roby said. "I guarantee you AMERICAN SCORES WILL GO UP ONCE PI IS

  1. (my emphasis) It will be so much easier." "For decades, we've all been learning that pi is this crazy 'irrational' number. And any number with no end is, not, well, it makes it really hard," Roby said. "We talked about making pi 3-and-a- third, but that wouldn't really help, because you're still then stuck with endless threes." HR 205 is expected to pass the House of Representatives but even if it also passes in the Senate -- unlikely with Democrats maintaining a slim majority -- President Obama has pledged to veto.

=====================

I went to her Web site & it's there! Along with other items that make Sarah Palin look like Einstein.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You're such a liar. Not surprising from any leftist loser.

Reply to
krw

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Non sequitur.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

This is inaccurate. She representst Albabama's 2.4th congressional district, but she calls it the second in her press releases, because

2nd is a lot better.

That is, it will do nothing for squares.

But according to her webpage: "Mar 24, 2011 The ?Pi? story is a hoax and is untrue.

The ?Pi? story is a hoax and is untrue. It was written by a liberal blogger in the comedy section of the Huffington Post. No such bill exists."

It woudl help if you gave the url. Actually you should have saved page as....a webpage complete.

Are the other things still there?

Reply to
mm

On 3/26/2011 5:19 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Ya know, "Higgs", this isn't the first time I'd heard about this story, so of course when I read your posting my BS meter immediately went off.

So I checked up on it. First of all, one of the first Google results that popped up was this denial from Rep. Roby herself:

Next I checked Snopes, which one should always do first before posting such questionable assertions. Of course, they have it flagged as "false":
Better luck next time. (Hey, I'm as disappointed as you, as I'm always on the lookout for such shenanigans and tomfoolery on the right. Some of the things "they" are proposing to do are actually more outrageous than this ...)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You're stupid, too. Not surprising, since you are a leftist loser.

Reply to
krw

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN! And I'M the one who's always e-yelling at certain friends of mine (somewhat religious, credulous types) who keep forwarding all kinds of sentimental "patriotic"/doggie/kiddy crap without checking Snopes! Hoist on my own petard, zounds!

Guess my threshhold of credulity has dropped so far vis-a-vis these types that I failed to listen to the dull bell tolling in back of my so-called brain.

I did take a little trip down Martha's lane, and found she co- sponsored several bills closely following the Party line. The usual stuff.

I'm given to understand that they put that kind of, uh, "language" in their employment applications and then are baffled why they are not hired. (Actually, I have a sneaking fondness for "yo" and "wassup", but am careful where I use them.

HB

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Tautology.

Reply to
HeyBub

"Higgs Boson" wrote in

No need for Snopes. The post said it was on her web site. I Googled her name, went to her web site, sure enough, there is mention of the hoax.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

22/7 is a good approximation for pi but slightly larger. If you were ordering concrete for a circular patio, 22/7 would give you a little extra.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Nomad, this is Kirk your creator, you will behave yourself. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Pi sure isn't 22/7 or any other number that can be expressed as X/Y. If Pi were able to be expressed that way, it would be a RATIONAL number, which it is not.

Reply to
trader4

Even if it were true it would be silly as pi is not 3.14etc but is the ratio of a circle's diameter to its circumference; namely, 22/7...a nice, precise value.

Reply to
dadiOH

What's the bother when they learn Pi=3.000000, won't even know which side is left or right.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not hard to understand. Liberals have this imagined superiority thing where they simply think they are smarter than everyone else. So the article was surely obvious proof and a confirmation of that but since you are superior you would have known to check the facts...

Reply to
George

That's a good point, but look who's running the schools.

Reply to
krw

;-)

Reply to
krw

Not to mention that Pi==3 is a story from *LONG* before Martha was born. The story has been passed around about Kansas, Oklahoma, and Indiana. The latter one has some credence behind it (there was such an attempt in the 1890s), but the common thread is that it's another case of coastal (left and right) snobs looking down their (long) noses at those in fly-over country. The one about Martha was from the Huffington Post, so you know it's baloney.

Reply to
krw

"Facts?! We don't need no stinking facts!" Says the Liberal Commiecrat. "All we have to do is scream and whine a lie loud enough and long enough to get weak minded sheeple to say: OK, OK, yea it's true, now will you just shut up go away!" :-(

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas