OT: PC boot problems

No, they can become intermittent. In fact 50% of the time they'll do so. Sometimes you can repair them with a flash update, sometimes you just have to keep trying to get them to go, and copy off stuff quickly. Usually once you get one running it'll work until power off.
I've seen several OCZ drives fail completely and suddenly, and several Crucial drives work fine after a flash update.
--
A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

I've seen them get "flakey". Replaced then tried to re-format the "flakey" drive and it failed. ANY (digital) electronic device can fail in more than one way

Wrong. Both can fail either way. I've seen plenty SSDs work every other time they're started up. And I've seen hard disks die suddenly when the heads collide with the platter. Any attempt to access the drive just makes very loud noises and no data is returned.
--
During last night's high winds an African family was killed by a falling tree.
A spokesman for the Birmingham City council said, "We didn't even know they were living up there".

Most hard drivefailures I've experienced in the last 17 or so years of my 26 year computer carreer have been totally "silent" in nature - usually starting with an occaisional "drive not found" on startup, or a missing or scramb;ed file or folder when attempting to access.
Mechanical failures involving noises are getting more and more rare, particularly with "quality" drives.
SSD failures are similar in behaviour to ram failures (or memory sticks) which can be either slow death or instant failure. The "slow death" often goes basically un-noticed until it totally dies -

Everyone should use twin SSDs or hard disks. If one of mine fails (which it has) all I get is a notice on the screen saying "drive 2 failure". I just unplug it and put in another (without even switching off the computer), and the data is automatically copied across while I continue to use the computer as normal. You also get the benefit of double read speed.
--
What's long and pink and hard in the morning?
The Financial Times crossword.

20 seconds. Hah! But then mine is custom built. By me.
--
What comes after 69?
Mouthwash.

I've got huge amounts of shit loading, I'm not very tidy. But I have twin SSDs, so it's double speed. And an i5 3570K @ 3.8GHz. And a Radeon R9 290 graphics card for smooth high res games and scientific computing (look up "BOINC"). The setup's 3.5 years old but it's fast enough for me (I built it out of leftovers from when I ran a gaming computer business). Mind you, I probably start it up about once a month, it usually runs 24/7 doing something or other. I've got three other machines made out of spare parts I've been given.
--
If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Yes, several free broken machines makes lots of working stuff :-)
--
A hammer is a device designed to break valuable objects next to the nail you are aiming at.

I remember you once telling me you didn't need a fast computer. You have been converted.
--
The Artist Formerly Known As Prince has a new album out.
It's called "The Songs Formerly Known As Hits."

Electronic faiolure on hard drives is becoming more common than media or mechanical failure. If the memory used for the buffer goes, it is the same as a SSD failure.

Of course they CAN fail hard - but that doesn't preclude them dying a slowand painful(to the user) death.
replying to trader_4, Iggy wrote: Yep, I'd side with the battery replacement. Also, run a virus scan (rootkit scan) and re-seat the ram after cleaning their contacts with isopropyl alcohol or a pencil eraser. You can also clean any expansion cards, video cards are notorious for bad MB connections causing phantom issues.
On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 15:27:22 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

Unlikely in an "I" series machine. The counterfeit caps are long gone from the supply chain long before the "I" series processors and board hitthe market - and lots now use "solid" caps.
The bios is not finding the primary boot device on start-up. The primary boot device is the SSD, The SSD has "temporary amnesia". One of these times it will not boot AT ALL.
Clone it NOW.
On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 9:33:55 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

.
citor Plague" which has affected all sorts of electronic equipment. I had s ome computer motherboards fail because of electrolytic capacitors going bad . o_O

Assuming all that is true, why do I have a black screen on startup, instead of a typical boot failure screen? Also these new pcs monitor drive error rates, have a history of error s, etc., in fact the system warned me off th e previous hard-drive going bad. This drive works perfectly and if it was a drive issue, you'd expect a boot failure message, after the normal startup , not a black screen?
On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 19:16:35 -0800 (PST), trader_4
Any progress on this?