Plug in GFI adaptors

For the safety of my livestock, I want to buy some of those plug in GFI outlets, for all outlets which provide power to keep their water tanks unthawed, using electrical heaters, placed in the water. I've heard of these heaters going bad, and electrocuting an animal. So, I put permanent GFI outlets in the exterior outlet boxes, using the proper weatherproof boxes and covers. But it seems that I am replacing those GFI outlets almost yearly. They just do not seem to last when used outdoors, and I have gone out of my way to seal all seams in those boxes with tape and silicone. It seems that moisture gets into them, which kills them.

I just replaced several of them again, but I just put standard outlets in those boxes this time, because I am tired of the cost and doing the repair far too often.

For some of the outlets I put a GFI outlet indoors, which now feeds an outside outlet. On another circuit I installed a GFI breaker. But there are a few places, where there is an outlet on a pole outdoors, which I can not do any of these things.

I am looking to buy some of these plug in GFIs that get plugged into an outlet and then you plug the heater (or whatever) into that GFI device. This way, if the device goes bad, I just plug in another one. Plus I think most of them go bad during the warm weather from rain getting inside the boxes, no matter how well I seal them. I dont think snow gets inside the boxes as much.

Anyhow, I live in a rural area where stuff like this is not available in the stores. I looked on Ebay and apparently I am not using the correct search words. I tried "plug in GFI outlet", and was shown a whole bunch of regular or wirein GFI outlets.... I tried "portable GFI" and got darn near everything except what I am looking for.

Is there a specific name for these devices? I'm sure Ebay has them, but i am not using the correct wording.....

Anyone know what words to search for???? Thanks

Reply to
my-email

IDK about on Ebay, but plug in GFCI returns lots of hits on google.

Another alternative is a GFCI breaker in the panel, as long as going there to reset it is acceptable. One breaker would protect the whole shebang. Or if any of the receptacle locations are protected, accessible, put one there and it will protect any downstream receptacles.

Reply to
trader_4

This doesn't answer your question but might be an alternative. Drill a couple small holes in the bottom of the boxes. That would let any condensation escape. My mom used to say "unthawed" too.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Have you tried a dead front device. (GFCI without the receptacles). Then your box could be closed up tighter with a snap cover.

Reply to
gfretwell

Like this

Mark

Mark

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.no posted for all of us...

Remember this is the decorated bovine guy.

Reply to
Tekkie®