source of Schulte safety plug sought

Hi All we have a Mountfield Princess Electric lawnmower. The power lead for this ends with a two-way 'plug' (female socket really) with a sprung hinged cover, which covers the live terminals when the plug is disconnected from the combined socket/lever switch which is mounted on the mower.

I'm looking for another of these 'plugs' to make up another such lead. Before I try Mountfield spares (likely to be pricey I imagine), I'm trying to find an alternative supplier.

The plug is marked 'Schulte' and 'type 831' I haven't had much success googling using these terms - any suggestions?

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
The Night Tripper

when i had a strimmer with a proprietry plug into the handle and a stupidly short cable supplied, i chopped the cable about 3 inches below the plug that goes into the handle, then i bought a couple of sets of mower plug and sockets from Been and Queued, put one set on the origional lead to allow me to reconect it, and made up a longer lead using just one of the sockets from the other set,

i thought about having a 3 pin plug to one of the mower plugs pig tail, then have a selection of different length cables with the mower plugs and sockets on each end, if i needed longer than the longest one, i could just plug in another one between the long lead and the 3 pin pigtail.

Reply to
Gazz

Hi Gazz

That's the sort of thing I want to do, but have an RCD plug on the end of the cable.

I'm not very impressed with the quality of most of the 2-pin 'outdoor plug/socket' sets I see advertised - are there any better ones around?

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

What's wrong with them?

NT

Reply to
Tabby
[...]

They are made of 'rubberised' plastic which isn't really, so they are hard to mate properly and easy to damage when mating/demating. They are unpolarised, which I dislike - I like to know my live from my neutral, even if the device is double-insulated. And they are two-pin as well; I would like 3-pin ones.

Apart from that, they're fine ;-)

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

They come in 2 and 3 pin variants, and polarised and unpolkarised. I've never had them get damaged, but I've avoided the thinner walled and more complex ones, sticking with the old fashioned round pin types. Those are as robust as it gets.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

PS if they didnt mate stiffly, theyd fall out during use.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Link please? Ta.

I know what you are saying, but the ones I have used I can see getting damaged with relatively little use, due to the combination of the deformability and strength of the material used. Sounds like you know of better ones...

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

All my power tools, garden tools and extension leads are fitted with

2-pin Duraplugs, I dunno what the 20 year guarantee actually covers, but I've never had any need to call on it

Andy Burns

Duraplug was mentioned, and really any make is good as long as you can see its robustly made. Flying Dung brand should be fine. I dont know where to look to buy them new, thre have always been more around than needed.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

replying to The Night Tripper, Peter T wrote: Same problem. Did you ever find a plug?

Reply to
Peter T

If you ask via a proper Usenet posting (ie. not through H*m$Own$rsH!b) I'll tell you

JKN, aka TnT

Reply to
jkn

He's probably given up after six and a half years and, even if he did find one, probably doesn't frequent that stupid hub any longer, anyway.

I'd never heard of a Schulte Safety Plug but it looks very clever and the built in leverage to help ejection, particularly for the elderly, is particularly clever although I don't think that Schuko arrangement is really what was used on his mower.

Won't be suitable for conversion to a 13A version, though, as it only works with recessed sockets.

Reply to
Terry Casey