OT: Password Managers?

If you want to trade security for convenience, just use qwerty1234 for your password. You'll have lots of company.

Reply to
rbowman

I spent a whole year a few years ago thinking I was a year older (or younger?) than I was.

Reply to
Micky

I keep a mailbox with the emails they sent me when I signed up. They never repeat the userid or password but I write them in. I made sure the first word of the subject line is the company name and I keep it sorted by Subject. There are now 227 entries but a lot are entries that have been updated and old ones deleted, but they came back to life when Windows and the program crashed. I delete them as I come across them.

They aren't all money. Every webpage I have to register for gets a page.

I've thought about putting it all one one page, but Firefox password thingy is sort of like that, except I don't save passwords for banks and stocks.

BTW, my bank allowed me to sign up for an email any time money is deducted using my charge card number without the card being shown, mostly online purchases.

But they rarealy do this. I've bought 8 things from Ebay lately and only 2 generated emails. When I called they said it depends on whether the seller presents himself as a merchant. I wasn't positive what the bank's webpage promised so I let it drop, but I'm going to complain soon. What kind of a stupid standard depends on whether the seller calls himself a merchant; I want to know when a thief is charging something on my card, whether he calls himself a merchant or not, like they promised.

I just bought a new phone and rather than backup throough gogogle, I'm going to reenter phone numbers. I think I only have about 20.

How do I dl, or ul, my photos in Android?

Reply to
Micky

I'd love to use a password manager as I've got over 150 I store in an hidden, encrypted partition on my computer. I copy/paste when I need to use one. Really tedious.

But I'm fearful of putting all that info onto some company's "cloud server" where it will eventually suffer the thrice-weekly "data breaches" that have become as common as mosquitoes in south Georgia.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Agree in part with "fear of the cloud" (especially Google's for some reason).

OTOH, Roboform has been around and copped top honor in the various reviews for a long time. You have to trust somebody and they tell you right off the bat to be damn careful with your master password which, obviously, gives you access to all your other passwords and saved bookmarks, etc. If you lose it you are screwed since they have no way of retrieving it for you.

The nice thing about Roboform is that you don't HAVE to use the cloud but you limit the convenience of having all your data available to you anywhere in the world, even on public computers when you don't happen to have a thumb drive with you or your own computer.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Funny. Mine always seem to be arranged so the one I want is the last one.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

I plan on inventing a travel purse for my gal: two zippers, top and bottom. Replace items in the top, turn over to retrieve items to use from the bottom.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Most of our cards are only 5-10 years old. We've had a couple cases of fraudulent charges (on cards that were NEVER used online), as well as purchases the vendor refused to refund. The bank stopped those cards and issued new cards.

Ironically, while we've had fraudulent charges on our secondary cards, I've never had a fraudulent charge on the card I use online.

We're in a rural area and used to have lots of problems with mail theft. That was one of my incentives to go all electronic. Now there's rarely anything in my locking security mailbox except junk mail. They can have it. :)

I still remember my mother-in-laws phone number, mainly because I called my girlfriend a billion times when were dating as teenagers. :)

:) Yep, I still remember my locker combination too!

Like my social security number, my drivers license seems to be a commonly requested number for identification. I don't take it out of my wallet very often, but I use the number enough that I have memorized it.

My statements are all electronic. I scan the few statements that still come in paper form. They're faster and easier to access and it allows me to keep multiple backups in case there is a fire or something.

Yes, very much like an encrypted notepad. Except it's set up to allow one-click copying of the information I'm after. For example, I just click my credit card number to copy it to the clipboard for pasting into other applications.

Even if I had a completely unbreakable encrypted drive, what's to stop some thug from pointing a gun to my head and forcing me to give up my master password. Or a court order demanding I turn over that information.

Nothing I own is worth my life. If they want it that bad they can have it.

We use our debit cards for most things we used to pay cash for. I rarely even have any cash in my wallet. "Hey buddy, can you spare some change?" Sorry, no, I don't have any. :)

I've always thought I should do something like that, but never have. Of course, most stores are all electronic anymore and can't make a sale when the registers go down. The smaller mom and pop stores will usually still take cash, but the larger stores often close their doors when the power goes out.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Yes, the SIM (Security Identification Module) has a serial number and stores your personal information in the phone:

We have Tracfones and they often ask for our SIM serial number when adding minutes or to access features online.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 04:50:08 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband wrote in

+1 on that.

Reply to
CRNG

I've never used a pass word manager, nor do I ever expect to. Too easy for the program writer to put in a backdoor master pass, and then get into all my web pages, bank account, etc.

I keep a note book, with the printed out log-on page. I write the first letter of the PW with a hyphen and the numbers to the right of hyphen.

For example, if my PW was Mormon90210, I'd write M-90210. That way a casual reader won't know what the PW is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Very interesting.

I have a Gophone and AT&T hasn't asked for that when adding minutes, or at all.

Reply to
Micky

It varies by state but usually the PDF417 has all the personal data that is on your DL. Some states still have the older Code 39 and Code 128 1D's.

A few states still have magnetic stripes in addition to the 2D barcode but they're being phased out. Of course, some police departments have an investment in the older mag stripe readers and are reluctant to let go, but that put's them in the position of not being able to scan DLs from neighboring states that only have the barcode.

Reply to
rbowman

It's not so much fear of "the cloud" as fear of the security of my data the password manager company has. For example, in the last 18 months I've been notified by:

  1. the Feds that my (and six million other) contractor security clearance application data including SSN, DOB, all previous residences, work and education history, personal reference letters, physician's names, etc., was stolen,
  2. two of my credit cards and two major retailers where I shop reported data breaches stealing credit card numbers and purchase history
  3. the online sales department of major computer manufacturer that their credit card data for a 6 week period during which I made a purchase was stolen

I can see one of the password manager companies easily reporting the same thing. Bye bye banks, brokerage, credit cards, Amazon, Ebay, Newegg, B&H Camera, medical center, PayPal, etc., etc.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Per HerHusband:

I use and like mSecure:

- It runs on Windows, Android, and (I think....) IOS.

- It has a built-in facility for synchronizing it's database between the Windows version and Android versions.

- Nothing in the cloud.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):

Reading more of this thread, I come away thinking maybe mSecure it not the sort of thing you are looking for......It's more of a password database than a "Manager".

About the best it can do is copy a PW to the clipboard from which you can paste it.... but there's nothing automagic about it recognizing web pages or anything like that. ..... I rely on Chrome to do that... mSecure is more like my backup database of IDs/PWs.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

The difference is that in your examples either the data in the cloud was unencrypted or, alternatively, the password used to encrypt the data was compromised.

My Roboform Everywhere data is stored in the cloud but it is encrypted. Roboform does not have the password, only I do. It's easy for me to remember but very difficult (according to password evaluaters it will take somebody a rather long time to decrypt it.)

For example: A password such as "I hate William Shatner" would require a computer program and 3 septillion years to break.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused
[snip]

I still remember the (10 digit) phone number for my mother's parents in Youngtown (near Phoenix AZ). I haven't used that in 20 years.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'd have a problem with the fact that I was born in a 0 year (***0) so my age always ends in the same digit as the year (or 1 less if I haven't had a birthday yet).

BTW, 9 is one less than 0. It makes a lot more sense that way.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That reminds me of one place I worked, where they had time cards that had to be punched. There were so many people working there there's be

10-12 cards in each slot. Everybody would put their card in front and have to hunt for it each time. I got tired of hunting and realized that sometimes the best thing to do is what everybody else DOESN'T. I put my card in BACK and never had to hunt for it again.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd