W/7 -8 Network password question

OK so I am running 7 or 8. Is there a way to disable that network password deal so my XP machines or presumably other w/7 machines can see it without jumping through those hoops? I know 7 has serious problems seeing a W/98 machine.

Maybe of use, or maybe you have done this already
http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Computers
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Sat, 08 Apr 2017 04:31:43 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I don't want to make assumptions concerning your issue, so, can you elaborate a bit more on the issue you're having?

That it does.

The 7 machine has no problem using my XP shares but it looks like I need some kind of password to get from the XP machine to the 7 machine.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/xp-computer-asks-for-a-password-to-access-folder/165f399e-c60c-4a14-aae8-8dacb295d514?auth=1

I will give it a shot

OK. I used to have my machines networked but no longer bother.
If I need to transfer something I'll just use a USB stick.
I do have a network printer however and all machines can print to it. Really simplifies things and saves a lot of money.

I have an XP file server, mostly just for music and video and I have a W/98 laptop that runs a network printer and a big SCSI scanner. If I ever make the switch to 7 or 8 I will lose that laptop I suppose. I do have an XP "thin client" machine that will do the job but the laptop is nice because it has the monitor and keyboard right there in a very small package.
On Sat 08 Apr 2017 10:08:10p, told us...

We have two desktop computers networked (one in each of our home offices), as well as two networked printers (one in each of our ofices) that each serve a different printing purpose. We're running Windows 10 on both computers which has great networking capability, as well as our modem/router which also enhances networking options.

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 01:08:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

With a few tweaks, it is possible to network the systems via Windows networking. See below for doing it with Win 3x/DOS network client. Note that this is also the so-called "Share Level" security that can be specified vs "User Level" on Win 9x systems.
Note that this will seriously degrade the security of your Vista/ 7/8/10 systems, and might cause access to "stock"-configured 7&+ systems to be problematic.
If you need networking of specific directories, it will be easier to use NFS instead. There are free NFS clients and servers for various versions of Windows. Post a follow-up here or send email to my address in the headers if you want to know how to find them. I have some that I have used to share files between Win7 and Win 3.11 both ways, so anything in between should work as well.
To share Win 3.1 files using SMB protocol:
Shares ===== On the Win2K/XP/7 directories to be shared, user "Guest" give full access & control under "Security" tab. (Recursively all the way down.)
For Read-only shares, under "Sharing" tab [Advanced] button, to user "Guest" give permission: Read[x].
For Read-write shares, under "Sharing" tab [Advanced] button, to user "Guest" give permissions: Full Control [x], Change [x], Read [x].
The "Guest" account does NOT need to be "On".
XP/2K & 7&Up =========== HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Dword DisableLoopbackCheck = 1 (Default No Key Present or 0) Dword LimitBlankPasswordUse = 0 (Default 1) Dword LmCompatibilityLevel = 0 (Default No Key Present or 5) Dword NoLmHash = 0 (Default 1)
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0 Dword RestrictReceivingNTLMTraffic = 0 (Default No Key Present or 2) Dword RestrictSendingNTLMTraffic = 0 (Default No Key Present or 2)
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser Dword Start = 2 (Default 0)
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Dword DisableStrictNameChecking = 1 (Default No Key Present or 0) Dword LmAnnounce = 1 (Default 0) Dword RestrictNullSessAccess = 0 (Default 1)
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters Dword EnablePlainTextPassword = 1 (Default No Key Present or 0)
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters Dword AllowNBToInternet = 1 (Default No Key Present or 0)
Windows 7&Up =========== HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Dword EveryoneIncludesAnonymous = 1 (Default 0) Dword ForceGuest = 1 (Default 0) Dword RestrictAnonymousSAM = 0 (Default 1)
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0 Dword NtlmMinClientSec = 0 (Default 0x2000000) Dword NtlmMinServerSec = 0 (Default 0x2000000)

This is M$'s doing. I have had times where I have had to connect with the IP address
\\IP\Share_Name
Also, make sure make sure yo are broadcasting your computer's name:
Open Services and set "Function Discovery Resource Publication" to "Automatic". And, start the service