OT. No Battery Chevy Spark

Trouble is that by the time you wait that long to see if the tech is viable, you usually can't buy it anymore.

Reply to
Jock

Most foreign cars do now, particularly those from Korea and Japan etc.

(excepting emissions controls, which has government

Reply to
Jock

Mitsoshitty does - the only way they can sell their crap.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The second owner tends to hang on to them longer on average (historically for i.c.e. vehicles)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Interesting. I'm still driving the 2004 Toyota Highlander that we bought used in 2008 or 2009.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Yes, like polybutylene pipes.

I have a Trex deck that I like but it went through its growing pains and had I bought it when it first came out would have had a problem.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

But there is plenty of tech that never had a problem that you can't buy anymore.

Reply to
Jock

I guess economics could kill some things. I also know as a home owner that some pesticides and paints that worked extremely well got killed by the EPA.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The issue is if a major component like a tranny or engine goes in a ten year old car, you can typically get it replaced with a rebuilt one for $2500 to $3500. What does a replacement battery cost for an electric vehicle?

Reply to
trader_4

Like you said, my, you're so sensitive.

Reply to
trader_4

So, are you implying that statistic somehow means that used cars are worthless at ten years, not sold or traded in for significant value? The used car market is as hot as the real estate market right now.

Yet you appear to be extrapolating from your statistic.

Reply to
trader_4

Today, around $14k. 10 years from now? Probably significantly less.

"While at the higher end, the Model S has a 375 mile range according to the EPA, bringing the battery's lifetime mileage up to 560,000 miles. In 2019, Elon Musk commented on the Model 3's battery longevity, saying that the Model 3 has a battery that should last 300,000 to 500,000 miles."

The average mileage by US drivers is less than 15,000 miles per annum, which means the battery pack is usable for 20 to 33 years before replacement.

And yes, there will be outliers on both ends.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

No, I simply noted that very few original owners (about 1 out of 8) keep a vehicle for a decade or more. Frank changed the terms of the question to include used vehicles, something I made no comment on whatsoever.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

One problem today, batteries are configured to the car, not universal. That may change in a few years and be more modular. Battery swaps may become common.

The new five to ten years will see a lot of change.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

All I posted was the average age of cars on the road. How is that changing anything?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Batteries can run down even when not used.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

So what does that have to do with anything?

"Li-ion rechargeable batteries have a self-discharge rate typically stated by manufacturers to be 1.5 - 2% per month.

The rate increases with temperature and state of charge"

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That, and much better tech turning up are the main reasons, most obviously with cellphones and cars.

Yep and stuff like creosote and even some types of paint and what is used for roofs.

Reply to
Jock