I need sink strainer installation help

Hi All,

I replaced my sink strainer on my stainless steel sink with a Jaclo 2806-PCH Duo Strainer

I made a thin string of plumber's putty around the top of the sink and inserted the strainer. Then tighten the YUGE nut underneath the sink. (Yes, I remembered the rubber washer and the friction washer.) Then cleaned up the plumber's putty that squeezed out.

It work for about five years, then the sink started dripping again. The plumber's putty failed. I went to tighten the YUGE nut, but the friction washer was damaged by the water.

I have the replacements parts (rubber washer and the friction washer, etc) to fix it again. What should I do different this time? What did I do wrong?

Many thanks,

-T

Maybe GE silicone would be a better sealant. Would some sort of thread lubricant be a good idea to let things tighten down more?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I forgo the putty on top and use rubber washers both top and bottom. Moen makes them that way and a heck of a lot cheaper.

12 bucks

Reply to
Thomas

Crap link. Do amazon and search moen 22036.

Reply to
Thomas

This link works...

I'm not doubting you, but do you have a link to an installation guide?

Q&A's and reviews at Amazon are mixed as far as using putty. Some answers/reviews say that they had leaks until they used putty.

In answer to a question at the Home Depot site a user named "Moen Plus Support" says to use putty. (I have no idea who Moen Plus Support is.)

Q: Do both washers go under the sink ? by Jim Apr 27, 2019

A: Hello Jim and thank you for your interest in Moen products. The Moen Stainless Composite Sink Drain/Strainer has a seal washer and a friction ring installed underneath the sink. You will use plumber?s putty underneath the sink basket above the sink. If you have any additional question, please contact us at 800-289-6636. Our business hours are 8:00 am ? 7:00 pm Monday through Friday EST. by Moen Plus Support Nov 1, 2021

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Putty is necessary. I suspect the OP didn't use enough. You need a fairly thick bead, clean up any left after fully tightening the since drain basket.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Trust me, I've installed quite a number of sink baskets/garbage disposals. I know about putty.

*Supposedly* the Moen 22036 comes with an extra rubber gasket that replaces the putty. Thing is, I can't find an installation guide so that I can verify that.

Thomas and many of the reviews/Q&A at Amazon discuss the extra washer:

I quote one such review:

"There has been lots of dispute about whether to use plumbers putty or silicone for installing this sort of drain assembly in a sink. But it turns out, Moen supplies two rubber washers and a fiber washer, and one rubber washer goes inside the sink, and the other rubber washer with the fiber washer under it goes under the sink. No putty, no silicone. Easy to install, no leaks."

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Answer:

Hello and thank you for your interest in Moen products. The Moen 22036 3-1/2? Composite Kitchen sink Drain Assembly in Stainless is to be installed without plumbers putty and/or sealant. If you have additional questions, please feel free to call us at 800-289-6636. Our current business hours are Monday through Frida? see more

Moen

 Manufacturer · January 10, 2019

I have a new one in the box. There are no instruction but the quote above from Moen was good enough for me. The one in my porcelan sink has no putty. Been there for close to a year. The sink is a double kitchen sink about 50 years old. All drains in this sink that I used putty on got loose and leaked within a few months.

Reply to
Thomas

Here is the drain in my sink. You can slightly see the gasket. I could have done better but did not care at that moment. I bought the second one for the other side. I am waiting for it to leak before replacing.

Reply to
Thomas

Frankly, I'm surprised that your installation doesn't leak, considering the off-center placement of the gasket. Lucky you. Personally, I couldn't leave it like that, but to each his own.

Most of the recent drain installs I've done have included garbage disposals, so I use the parts that come with the GD. InSinkErators (my go-to brand) require putty. I did a bathroom sink drain last year, used putty there too. Tub was a 15 years ago, putty then too.

Never had a leak - porcelain, stainless steel or fiberglass.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

New counter, tile, oven soon. Not worried about that slight off center for now. Nothing new in the cart yet just in my mind. I too have done plenty of installs, that 1/32nd or less does not matter to me, it is mine. No luck involved.

Reply to
Thomas

+1

This looks like a convenience thing. The seal is included, you don't take it home then read the instructions and realize you need plumber's putty that you don't have. It's also less messy, the putty oozes out as you tighten it, you have to clean it up after. I'd go with the putty, it beds the flange in, it's invisible and I've never had one leak, even after twenty years.

Reply to
trader_4

I just consider the simple finger wipe as part of the process. Visibly confirming that the putty oozed out all the way around gives me confidence that I've got a good seal.

While I've never used a gasket, Thomas's installation picture appears to indicate that it takes some finesse to center the gasket properly. With putty, all you need to do is ensure that the drain ring itself is centered, which it basically does by itself as you snug it down. Easy enough to shift if it's off a little.

Maybe I'll try the Moen gasket style at some point, but I've still got about $1.75 worth of putty in the $2.10 tub I bought last year. That's enough for quite a few drains. ;-)

+1
Reply to
Marilyn Manson

If you need to do them in some reasonable time period, like a few years maybe. I rarely need the putty and whenever I do, wind up buying a new one because the old stuff has dried out by then.

Reply to
trader_4

I dig a bit of soft putty from underneath. I bought new putty with the double gasket drain at the same time. I want to guess my previous putty leaks were from using old, barely making it putty. So far so good with the top gasket. I have nothing against newer putty and now nothing against that top gasket.

Reply to
Thomas

If you need to use a sealer, you're doing something wrong. The rubber washer *is* the seal.

Reply to
Xeno

That is pretty much it, no sealer needed.

Reply to
Xeno

Uh Oh, I put the rubber washer UNDER the sink. Seems way to think to go above the sink.

You'll never seal the drain unless you use a rubber washer *under* the sink.

Unless the drain you bought came with 2 rubber washers, it sounds like a standard install.

The rubber washer goes underneath the sink, putty is used above.

Thomas mentioned a Moen unit that come with 2 washers, which eliminates the need for putty, but most drain kits just come with 1. That washer *must* go under the sink.

See here:

Marilyn Manson

"That's pretty much it" for the *Moen* unit.

Most other drain kits require putty.

Marilyn Manson