I need sink strainer installation help

You cannot use putty on the bottom only due to rotation of the nut. If the top rotated as much as the bottom, putty would not be sold. If you did not see my error of offset you might think other.

Reply to
Thomas

Maybe you didn't catch my drift, but I was defending you. Maybe you missed the post where I even said "Maybe I'll try the Moen gasket style at some point."

However, as long you commented, I'll respond.

Wait... didn't you say the opposite in your first response?

"Moen makes them that way and a heck of a lot cheaper."

AFAIK it's been putty of some type since the dawn of plumbing. Not because it's cheaper but because it works.

While I never suggested using putty on the bottom, I do not agree with your "putty would not be sold comment".

The top absolutely does rotate. Just "Ask This Old House"

If you ever installed a garbage disposal and wanted the text on the drain to face forward, you'd know that they do in fact rotate.

My comment related to the "error" was not a comment against the use of a gasket. It was that you created a lip that will catch debris on one side and may not have fully sealed the other side. That's why I said you got lucky.

In addition, it appears from the image that you posted that part of the drain is not fully seated on the sink. It *can't* be because it is being held up by the gasket. That's another reason why I think you got lucky.

I've basically got nothing against the Moen gasket. Like I said, I may even try it sometime. However, I've also got no reason to change since I know that putty works and is still the recommended method for the types of drains that I've installed.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

"Moen makes them that way and a heck of a lot cheaper."

By cheaper I only meant cheaper than the 100 bucks the op spent on a drain. Maybe I did get lucky. It is my first top gasket. I should move it right now but if it then leaked I would hate myself. I would have to take it all the way off and use the unopened putty. My appologies if I came off rude.

Reply to
Thomas

I see. I did not make that connection. Sorry.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Is your sinks stainless steel? Mine flexes under pressure. I presume that its the reason.

Stainless steel, in and of itself, is not reason, the thickness is what matters.

SS sinks are available in various thicknesses from low end 22g to commercial quality 14g.

16g to 18g is recommended for a typical home kitchen sink. Either one of those can handle a garbage disposal without vibrating and can support a heavy, high quality faucet.
Reply to
Marilyn Manson