OT Need a Google search phrase

The mail carrier someone mentioned sounds like a good idea. Of course he only comes once a day. 6 days a week (for now).

When I was about 62, I had an inguinal hernia which I did nothing about for over a year. I felt fine the whole time. It caused a strangulated bowel one night -- I felt fine that night too until the last moment.

I vomited about 9 times. throwing up so much liquid that I learned later I was seriously dehydrated. That had caused me to faint on the way to the toilet, twice each of the last 7 times. (Once half-way there, and once just as I got there.) I forget the details but I fainted 14 times, when I never had before. I would wake up immediately after fainting, even before I hit the floor iirc.

One of those times I landed on my back, between two pieces of furniture. I couldn't seem to roll over partly because of the furniture. and partly because i'm 50 pounds overweight, and lay there 10 or 15 minutes (I didn't actually vomit that time because there was nothing left inside me.) Finally I figured out how to twist around and get up. Instead of calling an ambulance, I went to bed, woke up in the morning and listened to the radio for a couple hours. . Then around noon I called a taxi and took it to the hospital emergency room. Proud of myself that I walked in, failed to notice how stupid I was. The doctor said I lost 7" of large intestine, that couldn't be used anymore, and it would have died at an increasing rate if I had gotten there any later. Which implies to me if I'd gotten there right away, I would have lost maybe nothing, or maybe 2 inches. Apparently we have enought extra bowel that 7" isn't much, and I can't tell that I'm missing any, but I'm still an idiot and I could have died.

I'm sure you're smart enough to get treated early on and this won't happen to you.

By coincidence, I also broke my arm at the wrist that last time I fainted. They fixed that too and my arm is perfect now, except my hand doesn't bend back quite as far as the other hand does, but I never do handstands anyhow.

Reply to
teddy-behar

This might not be home repair, but it could save a life. Last year, my friend Bill died. He lived alone. His adult nephew and nephew's wife would stop by often. One day no one answered phone or knock on the door. No surprise, Bill was a night worker, and slept day time. The next day, nephew went in with his key and found Bill dead on the floor in the bedroom. Cordless phone in the rack, "falling and can't get up" pendant neatly on the end table near the bed. Cell phone on charge. Bill dead on the floor out of reach of any of the phones.

The day before, if they had gone in and looked, might saved his life. But no one knew until it was too late.

If you find such a service, I'd like to know. As I'm over 50 and live alone. That could save * MY * life one day.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Instead of googling "welfare", maybe "well-being" is the right keyword.

Reply to
hrhofmann

As I said, look for a "You are not alone" program in your area.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Evan Platt pretended :

In Oz the RedCross runs a program called Telecross where a volunteer calls each client and escalates the problem if there is no respone. All the details I am not sure about but it seems to be what is being asked for here.

Reply to
John G

Evan Platt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I live in the country so I contacted the Sheriff's department. They provide a service but only for people home-bound due to a medical problem (s). Must supply two close-by neighbors' addresses and phone numbers. You and neighbors must have landline available, not cell. They call you, you don't call them. Specific same time every day for all calls.

I don't think so.

Reply to
KenK