OT -- lack of planning on your part ....

Last night, I got a call from church. Some folks having a presentation, and need the spot light. One of the fellows find out that his master key doesn't work the closet where the lights are.

Called to ask which key works, and is there a key in the building somewhere. No key in the building, and I've got a key that works.

So, I drove to the building, and was running a little late for my next appointment. I'm trying to decide when to say "that's bad planning on your part, and I'm not available to come in and rescue you."

How to decide? I hate to foster dependance "just get Chris, he'll do anything".

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In a place of work, there are set procedures and various people responsible for these things. So for that, yes "lack of planning".

But a church typically has volunteers and no steady employees who would know various procedures, etc. A constant stream of new people learning about these things.

Also not a heck of a lot of money to get all the locks properly keyed, etc.

So in that case it is not easy to communicate to people what all they need to do before hand when they want to use the facilities, etc. And as soon as you teach them, they someone new comes along and you need to start all over!

Reply to
Bill

Do I know you? That's perfect description.

Scott Adams could write last night into a Dilbert comic strip, and it would be fitting.

.

In a place of work, there are set procedures and various people responsible for these things. So for that, yes "lack of planning".

But a church typically has volunteers and no steady employees who would know various procedures, etc. A constant stream of new people learning about these things.

Also not a heck of a lot of money to get all the locks properly keyed, etc.

So in that case it is not easy to communicate to people what all they need to do before hand when they want to use the facilities, etc. And as soon as you teach them, they someone new comes along and you need to start all over!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some people would really appreciated being needed in such a way; you should consider yourself fortunate.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Ideally, yes. However, that day I'd been to the building twice already, and was pressed for time for my next appointment.

Another day of the week might have been different.

.

Some people would really appreciated being needed in such a way; you should consider yourself fortunate.

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, if you've managed to leave them so the only key that does work is on your person, what _should_ they do?

Sounds like the bad planning is on your end to me...

(Church trustee; there's a full set to everything in cabinet in closet off the office...)

--

Reply to
dpb

I know of two other people in my congregation who have a key that would open that closet. You know, maybe I should figure out what closets are on odd keys, and figure out who's got the keys. This was a rare moment. The other two closets on odd keys, the people who need to get in have keys.

Time to step back, and look at the bigger picture, again. You're right, that I need to step back and look at the process, etc. Thanks for getting me thinking.

.

So, if you've managed to leave them so the only key that does work is on your person, what _should_ they do?

Sounds like the bad planning is on your end to me...

(Church trustee; there's a full set to everything in cabinet in closet off the office...)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

m church. Some folks

...but of course the closet is locked and only one person has the key. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Couldn't he get God to shine a light on his devoted followers? ;-)

BTW...I don't think you should call it a "master key" since it obviously isn't.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oh, that hurt.

.

...but of course the closet is locked and only one person has the key. ;-)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, that's best idea yet.

You're correct, it's either a master, within a great grand master system. Or, it's a submaster, in a master key system.

.

Couldn't he get God to shine a light on his devoted followers? ;-)

BTW...I don't think you should call it a "master key" since it obviously isn't.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 12/6/2012 2:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Au contraire, the closet _is_ locked, but there's a key to it available from within the office if one only knows where'st to look...

And, there are any number of office keys including some in hidey-holes...

A newbie may not know where to look precisely w/o a phone call, but the likelihood of somebody else having to do more than answer the phone call is quite low.

--

Reply to
dpb

Let me guess, you cut his non-working master key, right?

Reply to
Larry W

His master works nicely, to my knowledge. I didn't try. Well, works on the locks it's supposed to operate.

.

Let me guess, you cut his non-working master key, right?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Teach them how to pick locks.

Reply to
Thomas

Naah, just get about 200 copies of the great grand master, and hand them out to everyone in church next Sunday.

.

Teach them how to pick locks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Perhaps the least expensive thing to do would be to take the door lock for that closet to a locksmith and have them make it so the "master" keys also operate that door?

And the question is... If someone can be trusted with a "master" key, is there any reason you would not want those people to also be able to access that closet?

Are they thieves? :-)

(If they are Mormons... Well Mormons are known for their honesty and trustworthiness. So not to worry!)

And if your church falls into a pool of money or you have a locksmith in the congregation, then perhaps a review of all door locks and which keys should be allowed to open what would be in order...

Maybe you would allow the community (non congregation people) to use certain rooms say for a class or whatever. And would not want to give them access to anything else? But maybe access to the lighting controls might be necessary?

Or maybe to a kitchen? Bathrooms if those are locked?

Etc.

Reply to
Bill

The church has its own people who repin the locks, so that's less of an issue. That closed used to be under care of a different subset of the people. It may be time to repin that lock, will have to float the idea and see if anyone cares.

Thanks for helping think out the situation.

Anyway, do you have any comment on the original question I asked?

.

[...]

I'm not sure the original question applies anymore.

If you are the only one who has a working key to every door then they are dependent on you. You can't change that dependence but you can change the process to eliminate it.

Your plan to float the idea of re-pinning of the closet so that there are multiple keys that work will solve that problem to a large extent. If they are in any way an understanding organization, the simple explanation of "I can not be expected to be available 24-7 to run over to the church to unlock doors, so let's spread the responsibility around a bit" should work.

Maybe 4 people with working keys on call for a week at a time would work. Maybe consider a combination locked key cabinet so that a phone call gets users the combo in an emergency and the combo is changed soon afterwards. That would at least allow the situation to be handled from a distance and save a trip.

Bottom line is that as long as you are the only one with a full set of working keys - and a phone - they will always be dependent on you. The power to fix that is in your own hands.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I can think of probably 5 people in the congregation who have a key to that door, so it renders the rest of your comment less than useful..

.