OT -- lack of planning on your part ....

Well, since you didn't mention that in your first post, why didn't you simply tell the caller "Sorry, I'm not able to come by the church the right now. Please try calling (insert names of the other key holders) to see if one of them is available."

If you are trying to not foster dependence on you and only you, you should be letting people know that they have other options.

Besides, how can you call my comments useless since I suggested that you set up a rotation amongst the key holders? If there's at least 6 people who have a key, then no one would be on call more than once every 6 weeks. My comment to set up a rotation still stands, but it's up to you to approach the others (or the board) to put the process in place.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not the only person with a set of keys and a phone. Your last post was based on that premise.

As to your suggestion of some kind of rotation. That's interesting, but doesn't reallly adress my original questsion. How do I know when to run over and rescue them, versus decline or hand them off?

.

Well, since you didn't mention that in your first post, why didn't you simply tell the caller "Sorry, I'm not able to come by the church the right now. Please try calling (insert names of the other key holders) to see if one of them is available."

If you are trying to not foster dependence on you and only you, you should be letting people know that they have other options.

Besides, how can you call my comments useless since I suggested that you set up a rotation amongst the key holders? If there's at least 6 people who have a key, then no one would be on call more than once every 6 weeks. My comment to set up a rotation still stands, but it's up to you to approach the others (or the board) to put the process in place.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had a similar 'job' with a church in very rural NC. No one wanted the job of key keeper. I found an old key safe (came from an old hotel) with a simple but secure coding system where I could change the pass code when it was convenient for me.

I kept the keys but had duplicates in the pigeon holes in the key safe. When folk wanted in they called I gave the code to the keys they needed with instructions to lock up and put the key in a slot box by the key safe.

Worked for me for years and to my knowledge is still working for my replacement.

New youth pastor is a computer nut and is planning a wifi remote automated controlled system that can be locked/unlocked by cell phone.

I'm waiting for him to find out (the hard way) that the electrical panned is behind one of the locked doors.

Prayer is a strong thing but I doubt it's strong enough to unlock an electric lock when the powers out ... and then and then along comes those pesky ice storms.

Reply to
NotMe

The easy solution for the situation at hand would have been "I have to go to XYZ place. meet me there and I will lend you the key"

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Brilliant. I'd never thought of that. Thank you.

.

The easy solution for the situation at hand would have been "I have to go to XYZ place. meet me there and I will lend you the key"

Charlie

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That sounds like a very workable solution. Thank you for sharing.

.

[...]

I'm not quite sure why you seem to be fighting with me over this, but if that's your mood, go right ahead.

How was I or anyone else supposed to know that you are not the only one with the key? The fact that all you said was that they called you and you went over, without mentioning that they could have called someone else, seemed to imply, at least to me, that you were the only option. My apologies for not being able to read your mind from this far away.

As far as how to "know when to run over and rescue them, versus decline or hand them off" I believe I addressed that. If you set up a rotation, then you rescue them during your week and hand them off during the others. Of course, if the rotation is set up, then it should be posted where others can find it and you may not get any calls except during your week.

You asked for a suggestion on how to stop them from always calling you. I offered a suggestion. You found my suggestion "interesting", yet you are still asking me to address your original question of "how to stop them from calling Chris".

This circle is making me dizzy.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If it is the *same* person having the *same* trouble again and again.

Reply to
Bill