OT: Hurricanes, New Orleans

Quite a minority actually! The worst part of north-central Oklahoma has maybe 8 tornadoes per 10,000 square miles per year, and most of those tornadoes destroying around or under a square mile?

I would only subsidize rebuilding for those making use of farmland there, but that does appear to me safer than the USA coastline anywhere from Brownsville to Boston!

Don Klipstein

In , Steve Barker DLT wrote mainly:

Since Gore was the main force in Congress for Fedeal involvement to expand the Arpanet into what back then was referred to as the "Information Superhighway", I see the "I Invented the Internet" exaggeration to be mostly exaggeration by opponents of Gore.

Snopes.com even has an article on this, titled "Internet of Lies"!

Don Klipstein

I remember the studies well, with comments on one saying along these lines being notably that income was being assumed to have been that which was taxed at rate of "ordinary income", as opposed to capital gains and "qualified dividends".

Keep in mund that Warren Buffet said he pays a lower percentage of his income in taxes than his secretary does!

Don Klipstein

The stuff he quoted was TOTAL taxes, etc. from the actual returns. It would include ALL income that is included in AGI which also includes cap gains and qualified dividends.

n=1 study that may or may not be true. I am convinced. Of course WB is the person calling for an increase in estate taxes largely because he has already said he is giving all his money away to a trust (which ensures kids retain control of B-H when he does pass on) so he won't be paying any.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

That would be good for the delta also. Remove all channelling and levees below the port excet for those necessary to maintain navigation access. Let the river rebuild the lost wetlands.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The plan is to put the port of NO offshore, with rail access. Sounds good.

Reply to
Norminn

That's a problem - "percentage." Why should one pay a "percentage" of anything. You don't pay a percentage of anything for a jar of peanut butter or a ticket to the opera. About the only other place where a percentage of your income is involved is tithing to the church and, believe me, the government doesn't compare to religion.

I, myself, favor a flat-flat tax: that is, everybody pays the same dollar amount.

Let's see, the federal budget is about $2,700 billion. That works out to about $9,000 for each person. I admit, there are obvious problems with this scheme, but there are solutions.

For example, what about a poor person who doesn't HAVE $9,000?

Simple: They could donate blood platelets. At $1,000 per unit, the person could donate once a month for nine months and have their tax bill for the year paid up.

But, one might ask, what about the 20-year old mother of four? It would be cruel to take blood from a toddler and the mother herself can't give FIVE units of platelets a month! Absolutely! But she could give a kidney. One kidney would be worth about five years worth of taxes for her and her brood.

Now I know what some will say; what happens after five years? Do we insist on her OTHER kidney? Of course not - that would be stupid.

After five years, she could contribute a cornea and be good for five years more!

By that time, many of her children would be having children of their own, thereby relieving her of further responsibility.

I'm a little fuzzy on the mechanism for withholding...

But, all in all, the flat-flat tax has much to recommend it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Comedy GOLD! LOL

Reply to
salty

In the lean times, people can trade those teeth "grills" in for money. Gold can bring a couple of dollars.

Reply to
Oren

You may laugh, but many years ago I sent this suggestion to George McGovern. You may recall he wanted, as the first job of his administration, to send every one a check for $1,000! This was back when there were about 200 million people and the budget was $200 billion. I simply reversed his plan.

Never got an answer.

I also sent him an alternate, compromise, plan for school bussing. My plan was dirt simple: kids go to the school closest to their homes BUT take a two hour detour, each way, through a differing ethnic neighborhood. Using my plan, both sides get what they want: the conservatives get to have their kids close to home and the liberals get to have kids on school busses for four hours a day.

He didn't respond to that suggestion either.

Reply to
HeyBub

ood.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds very good. Haven't heard of that before. Does away with the need for channelization, etc. Just enough dredging to get the river boats through.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

They have done that in some places that are prone to river flooding in the Midwest. Picked up whole towns and moved them to higher ground. Told those who stayed they were welcome to do so, but don't expect any help beyond some sandbags next time the a river rose.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

In , aemeijers wrote in part:

How about the Atlantic Coast above the hurricane-bitten stretch, where ferocious nor'easters occaisionally occur? Every couple of decades, one produces sustained lower-Cat-1 hurricane force wind on the coast, and hits a stretch hundreds of miles long with several hours of wind having sustained 55-plus MPH and gusts over 65. The storm surge can reach 6, maybe 8 feet. The damage from such a nor'easter is usually like that a Cat-2 hurricane, but more widespread.

Don Klipstein