Removal of blown in ceiling insulation - New Orleans ( Katrina)

I need to remove ceiling sheetrock due to flooding. The ceiling has blown in insulation. It has to come down. Can anyone suggest some ways to keep the mess to a minimum? This home is 40 years old and the insulation has a greenish look.

Thanks

Reply to
Wayno

There is no easy way. Usually one just pulls the cieling and all the insulation down in one big mess then cleans it up.

I assume you are not trying to save the insulation. You could try a wet/dry vac or leaf vacuum but you will be emptying it more than you would like and that will be messy by itself.

I suppose you could rake it to one end of the attic and bag it in large plastic bags before you tear out the sheetrock but not much better than the first method. Pull down one room's cieling then rake or leaf blow the remaining attic insulation into that room and clean up before moving to the next room. At least you only have one really messy room, the rest will be better. Tape off the interior doors with plastic, let the dust blow outside. it's probably cellulose and will biodegrade rapidly if not treated with anything. The color has little meaning though green might imply a treatment. My insulation is a natural light grey.

Reply to
PipeDown

NO.

Wear a respirator, pull it down and have a really big mess. The green is most likely mold.

Reply to
Colbyt

if the insulation is dry you can reverse the blow-in process..

otherwise cut a two foot section of ceiling across the rafters and rake the insulation through the hole and onto a tarp.

Reply to
marks542004

If that would work, maybe putting a table underneath the hole, and making a frame to hold leaf-size baggies, for collecting leaves in the fall,, maybe just a couple inches below the hole, would work even better.

Brainstorm (or maybe brainslush): This stuff may be heavier than you need, it's pretty thick and strong, and I don't know if this is used elsewhere, but in NYC they have trash compactors that more or less pack sausage-style a continuous tube of baggie, maybe 14 or 18 inches in diameter I don't know where you could get this stuff, and I don't think you would need an entire package. I think stretched out they are probably 100 feet long or more. You could tie one end (it probably comes with ties) and fill from the ohter end, extending the scrunched up part a few feet at atime as you fill the already stretched out part.

There might be plenty of uses for this in New ORleans, and maybe someone could buy a few dozen and sell them off one or part of one at a time. Any janitorial supply store in NYC would have this stuff.

mm

Awsome. Many thanks.

Reply to
Wayno

Awsome. Many thanks.

Reply to
Wayno

Awsome. Many thanks.

Reply to
Wayno

According to PipeDown :

Roxul rock wool often has a distinct greenish tint to it. It's pretty good stuff, and water simply doesn't affect it. So, it _might_ make sense to save/reuse some of it depending on how much work that would entail. If it's been soaked in flood waters, tho, get rid of it.

Once cellulose gets wet, it's kaput.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

We need to know what the insulation is made of. If it's fiberglass than it's reusable. However blown in fiberglass looks exactly like cotton. If it's that shredded newspaper stuff, then trash it.

Reply to
scott21230