Blown insulation in everything

The project is still under warranty.

I'm sure the contractor will say just run the stuff through the washing machine, but I don't believe I'll ever get all that insulation totally out of everything.

Luckily the door was closed so the damage is confined to one room. Any thoughts or advice anyone?

Reply to
Croco Stimpy

My real question is: can I ever get all the fiberglass out of the clothes or are they all history?

Reply to
Croco Stimpy

DON'T call your insurance company -- this isn't your liability! The contractor's insurance company (or the contractor) needs to pay.

Insurance companies are getting much more picky about claims these days. You may have your rates raised or be canceled for just a claim or two. 5 years ago my brother was cancelled for 2 claims in 3-4 years (a hail-damaged roof and a break-in). I hear they're even more picky these days.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Hose everything off outside, soak and hand ring. Longest wash you have, double rinse or wash everything twice to thrice. Do not mix with undies or any other clothes. Eventually it will come out.

Are you sure it was fiberglass?

Reply to
SQLit

I'd offer to clean it up myself and ask for $1200 for my troubles. (I'd accept less with the idea that most recently mfg insulation is non-toxic.)

Reply to
JimL

Well every time that I have to work in our attic, it frequently involves crawling through about 35 feet of fiberglass batts that have become shredded and blown-in fiberglass insulation. It gets ground into the socks, legs and arms of my clothing. My wife washes it with a pre-wash, double wash and double rinse. It gets it all out so that they are ready to wear again. Don't wash with other clothes. I don't see a problem with your items as it just fell on the clothing and was not ground into them.

Reply to
EXT

I'm not going to comment on liability issues but you probably have some coverage under homeowners. Consider calling a professional service such as Servicemaster. They are likely to have more experience than the average homeowner or contractor. Your insurance company may also contract with someone.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Croco,

Have the contractor's insurance company talk to you about the clean up process and see if they'll recommend a clean up company. The contractor is crazy if he thinks you should be doing any clean up. If the insurer won't recommend anyone look in the phonebook for companies that deal with water damage or fire damage recovery. You may wish to involve your home owner insurer.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel