I was wondering if the blown insulation
in the attic is very flammable or is it
made out of stuff that is alittle bit flame
Im asking because I see the hot and neutral
wires that go to the fan running right through
it. It is in a well insulated sheath but I
was just wondering?
standerd white home wiring in the oval
Do you suppose that, somewhere along the way, it might have occurred to the
folks who write building codes to prohibit the use of flammable materials as
Rock wool and fiberglass are non-flammable.
Treated cellulose (sometimes in the form of recycled newspaper) is also used
as blown-in insulation. It's treated with a flame retardant.
If you're worried, scoop up a handful, take it outdoors, and try to light it
Fiberglass is somewhat flammable. The binders burn and give off fumes. Rock
wool has no binders, and has a considerably higher melt point (overall
heat resistance) to boot.
I wouldn't expect fiberglass to cause a raging inferno - a bit of smolder
rather, but saying it's totally non-flammable isn't quite true.
As a bit of confirmation:
_Most_ building code disallows the burial of K&T (unsheathed but
insulated single conductor wiring) in insulation. Fiberglass binder
flammability (and old/untreated blown cellulose) is one of the reasons.
[Some building code (California for example IIRC) permits K&T burial
in insulation with an engineer sign-off.]
"Should be" treated with fire retardant. All stuff now has to be, some
of the older stuff isn't.
Definately worth trying if you're not quite exactly sure what it is.
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.