Building a home on the moon

I'm considering getting away from all this political crap and moving to the moon. Before I leave, I want to determine what is the best type of home to build. Should I use brick, or just standard frame construction? If I build a frame home, for siding, should I use vinyl, or something stronger like tin or plywood. Roofing has me real puzzled too. Someone suggested a tin roof rather than shingles, but did not say why.

Also, I have to consider heating electric and plumbing. Is there natural gas on the moon, or do I need to use oil or propane? Is the standard home voltage still 110/220, if not, how do I determine what guage wire to use? And as far as plumbing, i know I will have to dig a well. Is a submersible pump rated the same in a different gravity or will I need a higher or lower powered pump?

I'd like advice, particularly from anyone who has already built a home on the moon.

Thank You

Elvis Presley

Reply to
E.L.V.I.S

I would think that having your head up your ass would be just about as far away from everyone as possible.

Reply to
AHOLE in Charge

build a straw house, just watch out for the Big Bad Wolf.......

Reply to
jim

Cheese?

Reply to
artemis

Thanks EP for the laugh. At least someone here is trying to cheer us up.

Reply to
ns

Bullshit! Nothing but bullshit! I don't come here to feel better, I've got a couple of sheep out back when I need a little cheering up. This is a home repair ng not a "It makes me feel better if a lot of jerks reply to my bullshit" NG.

Reply to
Ajays Home Boys

I lived on the moon for a couple of months, but I quickly moved back to earth because the neighbors were driving me nuts:

The moon only has 208V three-phase power available, so it's a pain in the butt to find appliances but it can be done. You will have to use a submersible pump because you'll need to dig about a 1200' well to hit water, and a jet pump will not work that deep even with the low gravity. The good thing is you won't need nearly as large a pump as you'd expect.

You will definitely need good water treatment to remove the cheesy smell and taste from the water, and the odd greenish sediment.

Hope this helps, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Find a suitable lava-tube. This will provide all of your shielding, and is pre-built.

Then simply inflate your habitat inside the walls, with a gap between your multi-layer-insulation (which has to remain in vacuum to be effective) and move all the furniture in through the airlock. You'll want to wash out all the dust you've tracked in, as it gets into everything. The easy way to power your home is a nuclear reactor, as solar is very inconvenient when it's on for 14 days, and off for 14 days, the battery backup you need is prohibitive.

Figure on a few megawatts. This will let you run enough lights inside your habitat to grow plants, and recycle the air naturally.

You will need to bring lots of supplements, as the moon dust has practically no volatile elements. There is no nitrogen, sulphur, carbon, ...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Just dont make the mistake I made and put in solar heating if you are on the dark side of the moon.

Reply to
Adam Russell

My friend lives on the moon. He runs a junkyard, but so far he's only got one car in it. He's hoping to get more once the Bush administration gets re-elected.

I considered living there once, but I think the commute would kill me. 238,000 miles each way is a pisser, especially with gas approaching $3.00 per gallon.

Everyone who lives on the moon lives underground. Your best bet would be to rumage around for an existing (abandoned) home. There is plenty to be had and most are less than 30 years old (not very long in moon time since the lack of atmosphere (and natural disasters) increases structure life dramatically).

mikey. ps. thanks for jump-starting R&R!

snipped-for-privacy@presley.com wrote:

Reply to
mikey

Careful...someone might believe this.