OT How old are you and how were you taught to read?

Google rides again...

Intercessions as in

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

The 'au' is the plural. A friend was Welsh and one of his routines was speaking the language to everyone's amusement. It sort of sounds like it looks.

I took a brief try at Irish (Gaelic) and quickly realized I might as well try Farsi. Between Latin in high school and German most European languages have landmarks I can recognize. The Celtic languages are categorized as a branch of the Indo-European family but then so is Persian.

Reply to
rbowman

I often read Wikipedia's 'random' entries. Someone has actually bothered to write an entry for 'fart-lighting', complete with photo.

(Don't worry, the guy is wearing pants.)

Reply to
Mike_Duffy

No shit! []'s

Reply to
Shadow

One would hope!

Reply to
Xeno

You were put back 3 years! I've never heard of that before. I be you were taller than all your classmates. You seem to write pretty well now. Congratulations.

Reply to
micky

Yes, I think we had the same book, and afaict, no one knew a single letter before first grade started. There was kindergarten - my best friend and I didn't go, but some did -- but aiui it was for playing, and learning to play with others, and not for book learnin'.

My mother used to read to my 7-year older brother, and I think he looked over her shoulder and learned to read without her trying to teach him. He skipped the first grade and was in a grade where all the boys and probably the girls were bigger than he was. I don't know details but it didn't seem to work out well.

So she was careful not to teach me a thing.

Some time in December, my parents went to my mother's best friend and her husband's house. My brother was picking on me, nothing serious but I didnt' like it. So I looked the Fisher's number up in the phonebook and I called to talk to my mother. They were all so impressed that I could do that. I was sort of mystified. What was the point of going to school for 3.5 months if not to learn how to read? (And to cipher.)

Reply to
micky

That's nothing, my mother only had 3 teachers from grade 1 to 8. Little country one-room schoolhouse.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Teachers don't always teach the same age/grade. They may teach one age in one academic year, and a different age in another year. I had the same teacher two years in a row, as the school felt it gave the class more continuity (this was between ages 9 and 11, back in the 1960s).

Cheers Tony

Reply to
Tony Mountifield

At what age in US schools do they make the transition from having the same teacher for all subjects to have different teachers for different subjects. I think by age 9 and certainly by age 11 I had one teacher for English, another for Math(s), another for French etc - this was in the UK.

Reply to
NY

Around here in North Carolina you usually start the 1 st grade around 6 years old. There is some pre school that start sooner. The 7th grade is where it usually starts one teacher per subject. That would usually put you about 13 or 14 years old.

There are usually 3 school seperations. Grades 1-7, grades 7&8 or maybe

7,8,9. Then 9-12 or 10-12. The 9 th grade has been bounced around a few times.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That is typically 7th grade (Middle School or Jr High school).

High School is either 9th or 10th grade but the transition somewhat seamless in the public system only offering a wider choice of classes in high school. The private high school I went to (grade 9-12) was run more like college. If you didn't have a class you didn't have to be there and you set up your own schedule. Someone motivated could get all their credits by the end of 11th grade and graduate. You could also drag it out for 5 or 6 years if you wanted to. it was your money. We did have kids in their 5th year retaking classes they didn't do well in to pump up their transcript. That was back when it was harder to get into college tho and admissions offices wanted that straight A thing..

Reply to
gfretwell

Here in Ontario it's K-6 on most elementary schools, 7-9 in Senior Public and 9-12 in high school. Back when I was in school it was k-8 and 9-12 or 9-13. Grade 12 was SSGD and 13 was HSSCGD.

Used to start Kindergarten at age 5 - now Junior Kindergarten starts at 3 if they are out of diapers.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's a lifelong pattern for you...

Reply to
rbowman

Ah, so the change from one teacher for everything to one teacher per subject happens quite a lot later in (some) US schools than in the UK. I hadn't realised that.

The separation of schools in the UK happens at around 11-12 (it varies slightly from one county to another) but I *think* subject teaching usually starts towards the end of the primary school, before children move on to the secondary school. I'm a bit out of touch with not having children of my own but I'm going by what my sister has told me of her boys.

One thing that varies from one county to another is whether the comprehensive system has been adopted. I mentioned a while ago up-thread that in the early 1970s *most* counties adopted a policy of all children in a given area going to the same secondary school at age 11, whereas previously children had taken a verbal and numerical reasoning test ("the

11-plus") which decided whether they went to a grammar school or a secondary modern school. A *few* counties (for example Buckinghamshire where we moved when I was about 13) decided to continue with the old 11-plus system to this day. There's probably not much difference between a grammar school and a secondary modern school nowadays - apart from catering for two sets of children of supposedly different abilities, I think there's a lot less assumption that the less-clever children will only want to become secretaries/housewives (for the girls) and manual workers (boys), and the SMs probably still aim to get children in to university or other higher-education colleges on less academic, more vocational courses.

One thing that has changed is the numbering of the school years. Until maybe about 20-30 years ago, the secondary school years were named starting at 1 for the first year *in the secondary school* - ie age 11. This led to the well-known fifth form (year) for age 15-16, when children could legally leave school after taking O level (Oordinary Level) exams in a large number of subjects studied at a more superficial level; and sixth form (divided into Lower Sixth and Upper Sixth) for the two extra years 16-17 and 17-18 when children could choose to stay on at school to study usually three subjects in much greater depth to take A level (Advanced Level) exams, the results of which govern which university will accept you for a degree course.

That concept has remained, though O levels are now called GCSE (General Certificate in Secondary Education), but the numbering of school years now starts when children start primary school at age 5 (a year earlier than in the US - or at least in North Carolina) - so our numbering is now a lot more like yours. It takes some adjustment to work out that Year 12 is what I knew as Fifth Form and Years 13 and 14 are what I knew as Lower/Upper Sixth ;-)

Reply to
NY

Oh, okay. So you're smarter than it seemed. Good.

I think in both Pennsylvania and Indiana, for grades 1 to 6 we just had one teacher for all subjects (except maybe an hour a week we had music with a music teacher, and the same with art with an art teacher, in Penn. In Indiana for the 2nd half of the 6th grade, we didn't have art or music at all, even though it was a suburban n'hood outside a big city that my mother chose largely for its schools.

I had wood shop and a shorter printing shop in the 7th grade, and metal shop in the 8th grade.

I did have some kind of art class in the 8th grade but now I can't figure out how that would have fit into the schedule. I remember they lost the only decent thing I ever did, a box for Jello.

Reply to
micky

Yes, except 7th grade was 11 or 12. Even you say age 6 for 1st grade and add 6 to get to grade 7 and that's 12.

Yes, in both Penn. and Indiana the 9th grade was in the junior high school building, but it was still part of high school. Administered like the high school and 9th grade grades were part of one's hs record.

My home town was pop. 50,000 but now 22,000. ;-( My elementary school closed, the JHS that was 7-9 is now grades 1 to 8, so that 9th graders can go fill the empty class rooms in the highschooo, and I don't know what else has changed. My old house still looks nice now. Later owner put in AC, remodeled garage, probably fixed up basement, and the oak tree is so big people can't see out the second story windows.

Reply to
micky

I think Ralph's arithmetic is off. I was 12 when I started 7th grade and began having a different teacher for every subject.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

7th grade is ~12 years old, not 13-14, and the change is often 6th grade, so ~11.

same in usa

Reply to
nospam

How old were you when you started getting participation trophies?

Reply to
Bod F

I was 11 when I entered 7th grade but turned 12 midway through the year.

Reply to
Xeno