OT - Guy Wire Length

safety hazard. We have called PG&E, and they have agreed to come out and look at the problem. We have suggested to them, that a guy pole would solv e the issue, but the pole would need to be mounted about 60 ft away. Does anybody know if there is a maximum length that a guy wire can be? Any help appreciated.

ike to keep

I can not believe how far over your head my joke went.

"Pole" as in a Polish person "Utility" as in a utility player on sports team "Hold up" as in rob at gun point

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Imagine guy wires placed in a yard where children run and play.

Imagine these guy wires. Do they look safe to you?

Really? A second story deck without a railing isn't a safety hazard until someone falls off?

A live power wire lying in a puddle isn't a safety hazard until someone gets electrocuted?

A car with no brakes isn't a safety hazard until someone gets run over?

Are you a troll or an idiot?

haz·ard ?haz?rd/ noun

  1. a danger or risk. synonyms: danger, risk, peril, threat, menace; a potential source of danger.

As if you know where the guy wires are located. Give up. You're just embarrassing yourself.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The problem is that some people are drama queens looking for a payday from Deep-Pocket Corp. Everything is a safety hazard to them.

Now you're being silly. And if you reported a live downed wire, the poco and fire dept would be there in mere minutes.

More silliness. If driven, a car with no brakes is an obvious hazard.

I'm a utility customer. When someone scams a payday, my (our) rates go up. I'm tired of my rates going up to pay for frivolous lawsuits.

I've never been injured by a guy wire. How many times have you been seriously injured by guy wires?

And what's next? Rural mailboxes? Telephone poles? Is the tree in your yard an attractive nuisance just waiting for a kid to climb it and fall? We better cut down all our trees. Last weekend, some idiot drowned in the local lake. Maybe we should back-fill the lake so it doesn't happen again. Seriously, where does this nonsense end?

Reply to
Ted

The smart kids will survive, the dumb ones might earn a Darwin Award.

Reply to
Charles Darwin

Safer than walking in the road. You can see there was a real estate problem and this was the compromise. A lot of places did not set aside a wide enough right of way for the road, all of the utilities required and still have room for a sidewalk.

Reply to
gfretwell

m Deep-Pocket Corp. Everything is a safety hazard to them.

and fire dept would be there in mere minutes.

That is about the stupidest statement anyone can make.

As noted below, a hazard is a "a potential source of danger". Potential, as in it hasn't happened yet but could.

p. I'm tired of my rates going up to pay for frivolous lawsuits.

Totally different subject.

ously injured by guy wires?

yard an attractive nuisance just waiting for a kid to climb it and fall? W e better cut down all our trees. Last weekend, some idiot drowned in the l ocal lake. Maybe we should

nonsense end?

Totally different subjects. I responded to your ridiculous statement, nothing else.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[snip]

And a PC vulnerability isn't a vulnerability until someone takes advantage of it for evil purposes (according to ad *d**t on another newsgroup).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Looks like they are probably at the edge of the right of way. May not be so bad walking, but if you ride a bike on the walk I can see a potential problem.

The pole in front of my house was the last on the run up the street. The guy wire runs parallel with the street.

There is always one pole in front of my house. Sometimes there are two Poles in front of my house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can tell you are having a real tough time with this concept so let me give you an example:

Insurance companies assign rates based on risk.

If you have a great driving record over time, you'll earn lower rates.

If you are an inattentive accident-prone klutz, you'll pay higher rates.

Fuck up too much and they'll effectively deem you a safety hazard and refuse to renew your policy.

Get it?

Reply to
May Hemm

The wires in the picture appear to be a potential hazard. The utility could probably add a cantilever arm to the pole, for the guy wire, and bring the wire down vertically.

They could also install an additional pole, adjacent to the walkway and the existing pole and attach the guy to that pole at an appropriate height.

It almost looks as if the walkway was added well after the poles were installed.

Regardless, if someone is willing to make a little bit of noise, I suspect the utility will reconfigure the guying arrangement.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

All I get is that you are an idiot for making the statement you made.

"And until there is an actual injury, you can't really call them a safety hazard."

Are you frigging serious? Admit your mistake and move on. You'll feel much better.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Of course, cantilevered guy wires can be a hazard too. ;-)

DerbyDad03

Define safe.

IMO, the guy wires present an acceptable level of risk. The drunk and texting motorists on the road next to the sidewalk would make me uncomfortable though.

But it's sort of like speed limits on highways. Why did we decide 70 mph was safe but you'll get a spankin' if you drive 80 mph?

And would you consider it "safe" to spend the afternoon on this beach? Or is this a "safety hazard" in your mind?

null

Show me the history of accidents! Just because YOU think it's a safety hazard doesn't make it so.

That said, I'm certain you could find a jury of like-minded imbeciles that would agree with you.

Reply to
BubbleWrapSuit

Some unknowns though. The wall is probably the edge of the right of way. Unless the utility wants to buy or lease additional property, where would you put the adjacent pole?

The cantilever may straighten the wire but not move it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here in CT the top limit is 65. Soem rural roads are 45. The same roads in some other states are at least 5 mph higher.

In some states 80 is tolerated but I won't go more than 5 over in GA. Seems like they are always looking out for extra income.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, but using that logic, the pole itself is also a hazard. Sometimes you have to do whatever is possible to minimize a hazard as opposed to eliminating it (e.g. painting fire hydrants a bright yellow).

The ultimate solution is to relocate all the utilities underground as they are in my area, of course that is a very costly option.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I can't address the unknowns. All you and I can do is to speculate about them.

As for the cant arm, being able to bring the wire down vertically and covering it with a brightly colored impact sleeve would dramatically improve the safety of the arrangement, even if the wire were anchored in the same spot.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

It was a joke.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Good God! You either don't possess the simplest understanding of the English language or you are simply a troll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with "troll".

Moving on...

Reply to
DerbyDad03