OT - Guy Wire Length

We currently have a guy wire on our property, that we feel is a safety haza rd. We have called PG&E, and they have agreed to come out and look at the problem. We have suggested to them, that a guy pole would solve the issue, but the pole would need to be mounted about 60 ft away. Does anybody know if there is a maximum length that a guy wire can be? Any help appreciated .

Reply to
mjmoens

Does the guy wire actually land on your property or is it in the right of way? Does an easement show up on your plat?

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, I bet the guy at the utility company knows. They have engineers to do that and will not take the advice of a guy looking on the internet.

The existing wire may be on the right of way also. Most property lines stop a few feet from the road even if you have grass there to cut.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Googeled this up:

Lot of factors to consider like materials and even soil.

Reply to
Frank

It is the first 24 feet of grass at my house. The pavement is 18 feet wide, the ROW is 66 feet.

Reply to
gfretwell

He could do that himself for about $5 Just cut a slot in a piece of 1/5" PVC pipe, slip it over the cable and cinch it down with a few hose clamps. After a few months you can take the hose clamps off. It will have taken a set, closed up.

Reply to
gfretwell

mjmoens posted for all of us...

zard. We have called PG&E, and they have agreed to come out and look at th e problem. We have suggested to them, that a guy pole would solve the issu e, but the pole would need to be mounted about 60 ft away. Does anybody kn ow if there is a maximum length that a guy wire can be? Any help appreciat ed.

In regards to the question of guy wire length the utility would like to kee p it to as close to a 45° angle as practical. I have seen some utility pole s that must be held up by imagination...

Reply to
Tekkie®

"1.5" ?

Reply to
gfretwell

hazard. We have called PG&E, and they have agreed to come out and look at the problem. We have suggested to them, that a guy pole would solve the is sue, but the pole would need to be mounted about 60 ft away. Does anybody know if there is a maximum length that a guy wire can be? Any help appreci ated.

If you hold up a utility pole, is it considered a hate crime?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

y hazard. We have called PG&E, and they have agreed to come out and look a t the problem. We have suggested to them, that a guy pole would solve the issue, but the pole would need to be mounted about 60 ft away. Does anybod y know if there is a maximum length that a guy wire can be? Any help appre ciated.

No. But, never try that with a Czech!

Reply to
TimR

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

y hazard. We have called PG&E, and they have agreed to come out and look a t the problem. We have suggested to them, that a guy pole would solve the issue, but the pole would need to be mounted about 60 ft away. Does anybod y know if there is a maximum length that a guy wire can be? Any help appre ciated.

No, because you are not profiling a particular utility.

Reply to
Tekkie®

ety hazard. We have called PG&E, and they have agreed to come out and look at the problem. We have suggested to them, that a guy pole would solve th e issue, but the pole would need to be mounted about 60 ft away. Does anyb ody know if there is a maximum length that a guy wire can be? Any help app reciated.

But I am targeting a particular pole. You know, the utility kind. The kind that is a jack of all trades, like a utility baseball player.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What is so unsafe about a guy wire?

Is it invading your "safe space"?

How many injuries have *actually* occurred by this particular guy wire in the last 100 years?

Reply to
snowflake

The question isn't about just *any* guy wire, it's about 1 specific guy wire.

Your question should be: What is so unsafe about the guy wire?

Why does that matter? Does an accident have to occur before an unsafe condition is removed?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We're living in a world of lawyers and whatifs. The local utility guys put traffic cones by their vehicles when they're parked. I've seen them do it even when they're parked in fields.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I've had three utility guy wires in my yard (easement) for 35 years. I've never suffered any injury from them. I can't imagine how they would ever be a "safety hazard".

And until there is an actual injury, you can't really call them a safety hazard.

If the OP is really that worried, plant some 5' tall ornamental grasses around them.

Reply to
Liberal Sissy

Ed Pawlowski

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

afety hazard. We have called PG&E, and they have agreed to come out and lo ok at the problem. We have suggested to them, that a guy pole would solve the issue, but the pole would need to be mounted about 60 ft away. Does an ybody know if there is a maximum length that a guy wire can be? Any help a ppreciated.

But you didn't specify the owner of the pole. All utility poles have an owner usually specified on a metal tag affixed to it with the pole number o n it. That's what the utility wants when there is a problem such as a crash o r fire. They didn't want no stinkin address! Used to use binoculars if I couldn't get close to it. Now they just accept "next to".

Reply to
Tekkie®

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

Dean Hoffman posted for all of us...

That is training. Also the fact they if caught without it they could lose their jobs.

Reply to
Tekkie®