What is indoor/outdoor power supply for A/C?

I just have an A/C installed (split unit). It doesn't run. The manufacturer said the A/C should us indoor power but it is installed on outdoor power. That's why it is not running.

What is he talking about? What are these indoor and outdoor powers?

Reply to
Lenny Jacobs

Not sure what you are talking about. Make and model would help,

Do you mean the inside unit with the fan is getting power from the outside condenser? Did a "pro" install it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is "outdoor power" a lighting circuit that only is powered on at night?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

On Tue 20 Jun 2017 06:44:27a, Taxed and Spent told us...

Many installations use 220v power mounted on the outside of the house and connect to the compressor outside.

The evaporator itself (mounted inside) usually does not require its own power, except for the air handler. Most residential air handlers only require 10-120v.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Most "mini" splits power the inside unit from the outside unit,

Reply to
gfretwell

On Tue 20 Jun 2017 08:44:18a, told us...

If they have the cooling capacity, most mini splits are also powered by 220v current.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

If it was just installed, what did the installer say? I would hope that if it wasn't running you didn't pay them? Odd that you're talking to the manufacturer, instead of the installer, unless of course it was a handyman that installed it, who didn't know what he was doing. What does the install manual say about how it's to be wired and powered?

Reply to
trader_4

I have 2 0ne ton units. One is 120v, one is 240. They can usually go either way, depending on how you order them.

Reply to
gfretwell

trader_4 posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

Like a lot of people here...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ask your question again when you're sober.

Reply to
AC