OT: funny cold call conversation

Hi All,

A customer told me yesterday of a funny conversation he had with one a cold caller:

Criminal: we would like your information for your free web listing.

Customer: why would I want to do that?

Criminal: so people can find you.

Customer: I don't want people to find me. We launder money for the mob. The last two guys that figured out where we were, I had to bury in the field out back.

Long pause

Criminal: Well, then. Thank you for your time

And, they never called back!

:-D

-T

Reply to
Todd

Good one ! I got one of those "we got a notice of a problem with your computer" calls earlier today . I wasn't in the mood to toy with him so I went totally bberserk on him . Called him an f'ing crook and told him if he ever called again i was going to sic the Fbi on him , really cursed him up one side and down the other . When I got finished with my tirade I heard ... nothing . Dead silence , then a soft click . I hope he calls back , I'd like to play if I have a few minutes !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Good new! Microsoft is suing these ass holes!

Finally, something I can agree with Microsoft over

Reply to
Todd

I don't think this guy was with any company in the USA , he had a very obvious foreign accent . I thought India , but could be wrong . I just had a great idea , if they call back I'll be effusively grateful , I'm so happy you called ! I've just not used my computer because of the many problem I've been having ! In fact I rarely even turn it on any more , give me a minute to boot it up . That should give me time to boot up the Ubuntu box over in the corner , and then the fun can start . I kinnardly wait !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

after using us as beta testers for its spam filtering it's only fair

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

From the link I posted: "The two companies sued by Microsoft include California-based Customer Focus Services and Florida-based Anytime Techies"

Probably using Indian folks though. It is a good sales pitch as M$ uses Indians and the criminals have the same accent.

Hi Terry,

I am an all Linux shop. I work on Windows at my customer's and just shake my head over to slow performance and instability and utter lack of security. It is a living.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi, I m Triple user, iOS, Linux, Windows depending on what I am doing. I screen every call with caller id. if strange call, I just pick up the hand set and put it down. More important things to do than spending time with useless callers. Another trick I play is I pretend I don't speak English, they hang up in frustration.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

What kind of an accent do you pretend to have, or is it just the 5 year old mentality?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Huh? What are you talking about?

And it is 12 years old, not 5.

Reply to
Todd

My comments were for Tony Hwang who said he used an accent and pretended he didn't understand the caller.

Reply to
hrhofmann

And you bought it?

Reply to
Jennifer Murphy

Why would you want to admit to such adolescent behavior? And to the ignorance to believe that it made one whit of difference to the telemarketer?

Reply to
Jennifer Murphy

You might consider quoting the person you are commenting to so we can tell who you are talking to.

Reply to
Todd

Yes. His employees were witnesses. Even if everyone was pulling my leg, it was still funny :-)

Reply to
Todd

"We would like to confirm your name for our records....."

Were you able to pick up the accent in my quote?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sure , it's a bit juvenile , but did you ever meet a man who wasn't just a little ? And from my POV , every minute I'm toying with those bastards is one minute he/she isn't spending stealing some poor old (like you) lady 's life savings . And if I piss him/her off enough , he/she might miss a few scores .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I just hang up. But I do feel sorry for the persons making the calls because I think that most of them are just making the calls in a last-ditch attempt to earn some money and that they are not well-enough educated to get any other type of job.

Reply to
hrhofmann