(OT) False advertising . . . . . .

I just bought a 16gb Sandisk flash drive, but it's really 14.5gb. I reformatted it, and 14.5 is all it will do.

That's False advertising . . . . . .

Reply to
Paintedcow

Nope - it's the same as hard drives. The advertised capacity is the "raw" or unformatted capacity - the "overhead" required for the MBR and other "indexing" etc eats up the rest.

Reply to
clare

That's a fairly large amount of "overhead". If it was 15.5gb, I'd be more understanding....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Don't lie to us. You're not happy if you're not bitching about something.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

What's industry standard for such things?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It's no different than you advertising you have common sense but we all know it's not true.

Reply to
Meanie

You got lucky. I made the mistake of getting a 32g stick from Ebay that only verified 8 ... with errors.

Reply to
gfretwell

There, i fixed it fer ya

Reply to
ChairMan

+10 on that one
Reply to
ChairMan

No, it's not. You simply don't grok the difference between calculating the space in base 10 (which the manufacturer does) and base 2 (which your operating system reports). Both figures are correct.

Reply to
Roger Blake

While both are correct, you come up short if you convert from one base to the other and actually count how much you have. Makes it look good in the ads.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

We all have the right to bitch!

I bitch about people who complain about flash drives (and hard drives) that don't have the advertised capacity AND are too stupid to read the disclaimer on those same drives explaining the difference between raw disk space and formatted space!

Some folks even call them "smart drives" when any idiot can buy one and complain!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yep, that's why the manufacturers report capacity in base 10. :)

The actual byte count is the same if you write it out longhand, it's just a matter of whether a kilobyte is counted as 1000 or 1024 bytes. (And of course extending the concept to megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes...)

Reply to
Roger Blake

Boy, you sure have a lot of problems. I bet you have the same problem with a hard drive.

Reply to
trader_4