OT. EV Extra Road Damage

A study from England says electric vehicles cause more road damage than fossil fuel powered vehicles due to extra weight. The University of Leeds led the study.

It would be just another example of unintended consequences if true.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

" If true .. " an important caveat for any Breitbart story .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Well, there's an article here discussing possibly shortened road lifespan due to more, heavier vehicles using them.

Dean Hoffman

Roads would be in better shape it cars were lightened by getting rid of government mandated crap like seat belts, air bags, safety glass, dual master cylinders, 5 mph bumpers.

Reply to
Ed P

... doors .. :-) As a kid, we lived across from a tree nursery where the owner would drive up & down the road, from farm to farm, in an old car with all the doors removed < and the rear seat removed > ... faster than a tractor & wagon, I guess . .. a Studebaker if I remember corectly. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Breitbart only reported the story.

Maybe you should direct your ad hominem snipe at University of Leeds.

Reply to
Slevin

Yeah, it's not like the four ton F250, or the forty-ton 18-wheeler are hard on the roadway surfaces.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have heard the story elsewhere even including the thousand pounds or so of extra weight of the vehicle causes more pollution due to increase wear of the tires and then accidents are worse with collisions of heavier vehicles.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Those just add a few pounds and not the extra half ton of the battery.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

But there will be less wear on the roads by cutting back on those tanker trucks hauling the fuel.

Sure, added wight does add wear but some are trying to use it as an excuse to stop making EVs. Everything has a trade off. No Universary study needed.

Reply to
Ed P

So go out and lead by example and buy an EV and report back to us.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You are sidestepping the issue with irrelevency.

My m37 weighs just as much as a Tesla model 3 (3800 pounds). Most pickups (F150, Silverado) and SUVs (Rav4) weigh at least 4000 pounds unladen, many substantially more. Then there are class A RV's at 36000 pounds each. Then you have 18-wheelers weighing 80000 pounds, laden.

The amount of wear and tear on the road system from electric cars replacing gasoline powered cars is negligable compared to the total wear by the entire fleet of vehicles.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Ben Verified - ✅

Next car will be. If I had two, one would be now. Have you driven one? I was impressed.

Reply to
Ed P

Ah yes, an opinion piece, sans any research citations to back up vague statements. From the CEO of a road maintenance company looking for contracts.

You can find a better citation to support your position, I'm sure.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If you want one, fine, I have nothing against EV's except knowing what I know about the energy stored in their batteries would never park one in my garage.

What I do object to is government forcing us to buy only EV's. We should not be sacrificed on the global warming green cross and turning the automobile business upside down will have negligible effect.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Good thing they're not doing that.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

This reminds me of government regulations from years ago that pointed people to SUVs and pickups. I think there were regulations passed that required passenger cars to reach higher mile per gallon ratings. The regulations didn't apply to SUVs and pickups. Auto makers decided to make the Chevy Vega and the Ford Maverick cars. Neither was much good.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

This reminds me of the George Bush era where the government lied-through-their-teeth on every single issue - and brought the country into a useless war in Iraq .. that everyone loved .. except the thousands who died there .. Oh yeah ISIS was spawned as a result ..

ps : SUVs were not a thing when Vega and Maverick were. ... just sayin' John T.

Reply to
hubops

Drive much? This month I took a 3440 mile trip that touched 14 states. In many places the major highways were just filled for miles with cars and trucks burning oil based fuel.

My car burned 95 gallons on that trip but many of the vehicles I saw would be double that for the miles. There is a price to be paid for it and the price of gas will be going up considerably as oil becomes harder to find and more expensive to process.

The EV of today is a start but in 5 to 10 years will be much better. Takes time, money, and experience to perfect. Next car I buy will be an EV. In my garage.

Reply to
Ed P