[SOLVED] OT: Engine failure

130,000 miles is just nicely broken in. That's under 200,000km.

I bought my Ranger with 307000km (About 190,000 miles) on it Almost 224000 miles (360000km) on it now.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 18:36:32 +0100, Clare Snyder wr= ote:

s...

I can understand that in a 3rd world country where you have to keep thin= gs going, but in civilised countries, it's cheaper and easier just to re= place the vehicle. I can buy a car with 80K on the clock for =A3500. R= un it to 130K then scrap it (getting =A3120 for the metal value), then b= uy another. And I haven't had the time or expense of looking after it p= roperly.

-- =

To truly love another, you must first love yourself. And it wouldn't kil= l you to wash your hands in between either.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 1:59:58 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrot e:

te:

s going, but in civilised countries, it's cheaper and easier just to replac e the vehicle. I can buy a car with 80K on the clock for £500. Run i t to 130K then scrap it (getting £120 for the metal value), then buy a nother. And I haven't had the time or expense of looking after it properly .

ROFL

What kind of car can you buy for 500 pounds that has 80K miles on it? Maybe a 20 year old one, rusted out, with parts falling off, leaking oil and coolant, no brakes, bald tires, bad CV joints, etc.

You can have that. Like Clare, I'd rather have a car with 150K miles that I've owned for years, that I know the history of and that I've properly maintained.

Reply to
trader_4

expense of looking after it properly.

Guess it is all in what one wants. I usually buy a new car and drive it for around 10 years and get another new one. The Toyotas I have have only had the normal service of the book done to them, and a few wear things such as break pads, tires, and light bulbs. Never had to spend any money on them except one time a sensor went out at about 120,000 miles. They never needed oil between changes.

At one time I had thought of buying old cars and just leaving them on the side of the road when they quit. Then one Chevy quit on me that only had about 40,000 miles on it. I was several miles from most things, just lucky to be at a place that had a telephone in it. That taught me to try and have a car that would not just quit on me.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In message , James Wilkinson Sword writes

See

Certainly not if your engine isn't firing!

Lane 4 is not a place you ever want to stop - no, never-ever - not at all at all.

As I said above.

The best you can do is to disengage the engine, signal left, pray (probably for the first time in your life) that vehicles on your left will give way to you - and try to coast over to the hand shoulder. Assuming you survive, consider it a bonus if you have enough momentum to take you on to the next emergency phone.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 19:40:08 +0100, trader_4 wro= te:

hings going, but in civilised countries, it's cheaper and easier just to= replace the vehicle. I can buy a car with 80K on the clock for =A3500.= Run it to 130K then scrap it (getting =A3120 for the metal value), the= n buy another. And I haven't had the time or expense of looking after i= t properly.

There's something wrong with the USA. Your stuff costs way too much. I= 've seen a car with 47K on the clock for =A3500, 12 years old, virtually= no rust. FFS you can buy a brand new car for as little as =A36000 nowa= days, why pay so much for a used one?

And at what cost? Maintainence costs a lot of money.

-- =

What happens if you install windows 98 on a system with 2 processors? It crashes twice.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

hings going, but in civilised countries, it's cheaper and easier just to= replace the vehicle. I can buy a car with 80K on the clock for =A3500.= Run it to 130K then scrap it (getting =A3120 for the metal value), the= n buy another. And I haven't had the time or

You're better buying one at least 3 years old. The depreciation on bran= d new cars is absolutely beyond a joke. And since most have 7 year warr= anties nowadays, you've still got 4 years of that left.

I never even do that. I replace a part when it falls off, snaps, smells= funny, or makes a warning light come on. If it ain't broke, don't fix = it.

I've never changed oil in a car. If the oil isn't flowing right, the wa= rning light for the pump will come on. Once they get old enough to need= fresh oil they start burning it anyway. When the oil guage on the dash= says it's half full, I top it up.

Er.... don't you have something over there called "police"? You can't j= ust abandon property for someone else to pick up surely? You do have re= g numbers, right?

You shouldn't have bought American shit.

When was the mobile phone invented in the USA?

-- =

There's a word you are misunderstanding or misinterpreting, whether expl= icitly or by necessary and inescapable implication.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Speeding isn't a real offence, you just get a fine, unless you can talk your way out of it, which is a 75% chance.

A car will not just stop with no power. Momentum will keep it going for a very long time. Simply indicate and move over gradually. It's not rocket science. Do you actually have a license?! Do you know what a clutch pedal does?

Or take the mobile from your pocket.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Skoda rental from Ireland ? .. perhaps the one I rented for 10 days .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

In message , James Wilkinson Sword writes

To avoid making stupid remarks, try reading everything in a post before you even think of replying.

Can't you read what I said?

No - I have a licence - and I know how to spell it.

You obviously don't know what a clutch does. Press the pedal and it DISENGAGES the engine (which, if you could read, is exactly what I said I did).

Mobile what? The quickest way of obtaining assistance is to use one of the emergency phones.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I thought a brand new Skoda was =A3500.

Ever heard of Ebay?

-- =

CONGRESS.SYS corrupted... Re-boot Washington D.C. (Y/N)?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

This hapened before mobile phones were common.

You probably live in a place where people are on top of each other. There are lots of places in the US that do not have coverage for the phones, or the brand that you may have.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No more chevys, eh???

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You seem to have problem stopping your car without using the accelerator. I strongly suggest you retake your test.

Yes, I just don't get why you can't do it.

Perhaps you should spend more time on your spatial awareness and less time on pedantry.

Which means you can easily coast to a halt.

Really? Your mobile is in your pocket, you have it NOW, not when you get to the phone. I used one of those stupid things once, when I'd forgotten my mobile. They just passed me through to the AA. So slower.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What thw H is an emergency phone???? They have all but dissapeared inNorth America.

Last one I saw was on the Burlington Skyway - mabee 5 or 6 years ago. MIGHT still be one there.

In Austria I saw them every few miles on the motorway.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 21:28:49 +0100, Clare Snyder wr= ote:

things going, but in civilised countries, it's cheaper and easier just t= o replace the vehicle. I can buy a car with 80K on the clock for =A3500= . Run it to 130K then scrap it (getting =A3120 for the metal value), th= en buy another. And I haven't had the time or

Do American car companies still exist? Don't they make shitty cars like= the British Rover?

-- =

What's the difference between a naked white woman and a naked black woma= n? One's on the cover of Playboy and the other's on the cover of National G= eographic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They're from the 60s when nobody had a mobile.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They're from the 60s when nobody had a mobile.

Reposted with the uk group re-added, or Ian won't see your reply. Don't f*ck about with the newsgroup line.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They have gotten better, but I still won't buy one. Last I bought was in 2001., Great car for the first 30,000 miles, then started to fall apart. Lots of things wrong with it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

but you might have to walk 500m to find one.

Reply to
charles