[SOLVED] OT: Engine failure

"The law firm of Sauder Schelkopf LLC is investigating a class action lawsuit on behalf of owners of Honda CR-V vehicles (model years 2016, 2017 and 2018) that are prone to engine oil contamination. It has been alleged that consumers with these Honda CR-V vehicles are experiencing fuel contamination of the engine oil that results in the failure of engine bearings and other internal components. This may result in catastrophic engine failure and even stalling while driving."

Not only can your engine catastrophically fail, but, oh my god, you might stall!

FFS, please kill any lawyer you see in public.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I doubt if you'd find it funny in the outside lane of a busy motorway.

Then who would you turn to?

Reply to
Norman Wells

Unless you're Tammie Jo Shults, a catastrophic engine failure can be deadly.

Unless you're Patty Wagstaff, a base to final stall is deadly.

Reply to
Al Timiter

cobblers

depends on height and power reserves

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Son has a Honda and the transmissioinwent out at about 130,000 miles. Cost him $ 4,000 to get it repaired. That particular transmission had known problems and the company did warrenty them for 120,000 miles, but not enough for my son.

I bought a new car about 6 months ago. Started to buy a Honda,but glad that I did not and stuck to the Toyota that I have bought for the last good number of cars and trucks.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Mabee a mechanic?

The CRV in 2016 used only the "corporate" 2.4 shared with the accord.

So if the CRV has a problem, the accord should as well.

In 2017 the 1.5 Turbo from the FIT joins the fray - also used now in the Civic.

If it has a problem the Civic (and fit) should as well.

Firms like Sauder Schelkopf are a bad joke.

You know what Schelkopf means????

It comes from the german Schell -for noisy, or wild and Kopf - for head - so it translates to a "noisy head" - or an empty head that rattles and echos.

Sure fits - - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Actually depends on your glide ratio - and what terrain surrounds the runway. There have been MANY safe off-runway landings at airports around the world.

If you've grown up flying 2 stroke uiltralights, base to final engine outs are almost "normal procedure" - particularly if your engine is a

2si / AMW / Caruna / JLO
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Cars break down all the time. If you can't cope with your engine cutting out, you shouldn't be driving.

I've never needed a lawyer. I use the person fit for the task in hand. A doctor, a mechanic, a bricklayer, you know the people who actually do work.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

.
130,000 miles is the point I give my car to the scrapyard. The engine i= s usually f***ed by then and it's cheaper to get another car than keep r= epairing it.

My neighbour actually just paid =A32000 for a van with 135,000 miles on = it. I did laugh when he showed me it and couldn't get it to start.

-- =

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- = living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of ever= y day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does no= t want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a speci= al place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, wh= ere he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream an= d cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you. -- Geor= ge Carlin

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've only ever had one Honda. The automatically engaging 4WD (WTF? Why not just on all the time?) took about 2 seconds to engage, by which time the front wheels had dug a hole, absolutely useless. The engine gave up after I converted it to LPG (professionally at great expense) because apparently Honda use shitty valves that can't handle extra heat and the whole engine warped.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not in a car. So you've never had a car give up because of an electrical fault, you forgot to put fuel in, etc?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

  Our '99 Toyota 4Runner has over 300,000 miles on it and still runs like a top . Doesn't use any oil either . With even the minimum of maintainance most modern cars should last at least 250,000 miles ... so it's probably not the cars , but your treatment of them .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

In message , James Wilkinson Sword writes

But it certainly focuses the mind if your engine goes totally dead when you're doing the legal limit in Lane 4 of a busy motorway! This is not a situation they often teach you to cope with.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I guess if you buy a crap car or a good car and don't do proper maintenance on it that can happen. I have a good friend who's gone through three Honda CRVs, racking up over 200K miles on all of them. Only real unexpected issue has been the AC, which apparently is the weak link. The engines and drivetrain were still running fine and strong. BMW used for hauling stuff and snowboard trips has 210K miles, engine runs like a top and the rest of it is rock solid. I've yet to see a car have an engine failure at only 130K miles.

Reply to
trader_4

Try a rear hinged bonnet flying up...and totally obscuring the view

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:58:41 +0100, Terry Coombs wrot= e:

I find it's not worth the time and expense maintaining them. I fix thin= gs that actually break. If there's a noise, a smell, or a warning light= , then I fix it.

-- =

Anybody who claims that marriage is a fifty-fifty proposition doesn't kn= ow a damned thing about women or fractions.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And how much did you spend on maintainence?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If something needs fixing, the car should tell you, this is the 21st century.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why would you be driving that slowly?

And I've had a front tyre blowout at 20mph over the legal limit (=90mph) - never told how to cope with it, but did just fine. An engine stopping, why the f*ck would that be a problem? You just can't accelerate any more. Not being able to stop is a problem, not being able to accelerate is not.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Had that, just peered underneath it, there's usually a gap.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword