Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

Just chatting with a neighbour about engine oils (as you do) and remembering how, after an oil change, a sticker would be put on your engine to show what oil had been used. It used to be helpful back then - I would think even more now with synthetics, semi-synthetics and mineral oils in use. Has anyone seen this recently?

Reply to
JohnP

Never. I may have been lucky, but I've never had a car that really required a top-up between oil changes. (First car a 1972 Escort.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Many makers these days specify the brand and type of oil to be used exclusively. Last time mine was serviced, they included a top up pack of the correct oil - a litre in a plastic bag with disposable gloves and tissues. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never bothered. Used to have an old 850 Mini that did 500 miles to the pint. Always carried a gallon of Duckhams 20/40W in the boot for on the fly topups!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

My GF had one that did 50 miles to the quart.../

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was told that with new cars main agents are obliged to put in whatever is in the manual or originally in the car. Wether you believe that is up for discussion, I a friend who had a particular fondness for Triumph Dolomites in the day and had a battle with his local Lookers BL garage who charged by the quart can for oil despite being told by a mechanic that the oil came o ut of big drum at the back of the garage.

Richard ,

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

When I was a kid in the 1950's my father regularly bought half a pint of oil from the local garage when getting petrol. The garage forecourt had a little row of graduated oil-pouring cans standing by the pumps just for that purpose.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Worked on the pumps one summer in the mid 60's, often got asked to check the oil and top it up. We were required to refill empty oil cans from the bulk tank in the workshop, and try to make sure the customer didn't see that we didn't have to remove an aluminium tab from them. Castrolite and XL in those days.

Reply to
newshound

Dealers today still buy oil in bulk. But charge you the retail price per litre.

Had my car serviced by the local main BMW dealer (spit) now thankfully closed down. I picked it up from them and looked under the bonnet to check they'd fixed a leak from the steering - which I'd asked to be done and been charged for. If they had, they'd not cleaned it up. So checked the oil too. Well under full on the dipstick. On their level forecourt. I'd not even started it.

Workshop manager said this was impossible as their equipment measured out the correct amount for each model. And told me I didn't know how to check the oil. So got the c**t to show me where I'd gone wrong. Even gave him a tissue from the box in the car. He obviously loved looking the fool he was. Then told me I should have asked to have the leak from the steering cleaned. I hope he lost his job when they closed down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably filtered sump oil. In the 60s they had bulk oil tanks on the forecourt and green jugs to transfer the oil to the engine.

Reply to
Max Demian

remember that rip off...didn't come from tins with that tin foil rip off strip anyway...

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

loved that tear off strip

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

You'd need some filtration to make used oil look clean again. Although it can be done in a factory. Many small garages used old sump oil to heat the workshop in the winter.

Yes - a cabinet containing the oil. And a hand pump to get it to the jug.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All garages used to to that in the days when most cars used the same type of oil. Local Citroen /peugeot dealer had oil pipes delivering from a bulk tank round the back, to individual nozzle guns at each of the 4-post ramps, 6 of them I seem to recollect.

Now almost every model seems to have its own special oil code.

These days they all seems to be running the 'oil flush treatment' racket, where this wording is printed on the invoice and billed at anything from 9.99 to 17.99 plus VAT.

Reply to
Andrew

I really think we need to know if it is Synthetic, Semi, or mineral. Not too bothered about the brand - or I would take what I wanted to the garage.

Reply to
JohnP

My dads old Hillman Minx ended up using almost as much oil as petrol!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Yes well, the smell and smoke from the older cars like the ones described could not under any circumstances to be said to be clean and green. Mind you surprised people have not banned 2 stroke engines as used in some garden equipment and el cheapo outboard motors as they check out a heap of blue smellyness. When I was young I liked the smell. weird. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Exactly, no chance of that in a workshop of those days.

I still find it mildly astonishing that you can still see through the oil in my Jazz after a year.

Reply to
newshound

Well the darkening is (mainly) soot from the combustion bypassing the rings, so I am guessing they've improved the tolerances ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Judging by the number of drivers I've known that failed to notice their engine was firing on 3 not 4 cylinders, it might not get noticed ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk