OT Does it cost more money to make soft toilet paper?

Does it cost more money to make soft toilet paper? How come?

Is the paper really softer? I think it's either smoother or it bends more easily.

If it's smoothness, do they have to sand the rough spots off?

Softness would mean it compresses more easily and I don't think I could tell one ten-thousandth of an inch from three ten-thousandths of an inch, or even half the thickness of the paper, and I'm sure even Charmin doesn't compress more than that.

And yet Charmin is "softer" than other brands, and it's softer than the toilet paper I saw on my trip. The stuff I saw wasn't waxy like iirc it once was. It was more like cheap toilet paper here, and maybe that's because the public bathrooms and my landlady buy cheap paper.

IME, I need less Charmin so even if it's more expensive, it totals to the same price, more or less.

Reply to
micky

Maybe a special test or additive in the process. Would also be more expensive to ship as it is more bulky.

Reply to
Frank

I want kevlar-reinforced toilet paper so my finger doesn't slip through the paper, if you know what I mean.

Reply to
Harry Butz