OT: Do Car Wheel Alignment Specs Vary By Trim Line Within Make and Model?

I took my car in for a wheel alignment and told them them the year, make, model and trim line.

When I checked the paperwork later, I noticed that they listed the trim line wrong-- one lower than what mine actually was-- and which had 17 inch diameter wheels rather than the 18 inch ones on mine.

I went back the next day to ask about that and the manager blew off my concern- saying all trim lines had the same alignment specs.

Doesn't sound right to me. Whaddya think?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Why would the amount of chrome, leather vs cloth interior, sun roof or electronics package change alignment specs? The tire size can vary WITHIN model lines - and has NO effect on alignment.

A "sport handling package" MIGHT have different alignment specs, but certainly not in allcases.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A sport package would be considered one of the possible trim lines

Reply to
trader_4

Mine has a different wheel diameter, tire aspect ratio and handling/suspension package from the three of four lower trim lines. That's the main reason I didn't buy the manager's blow-off of my concern

In addition, she was sporting those long curved fake day glow-painted fingernails and what looked like fake hair braids down to just short of her waist. My opinion is her automotive knowledge topped out at how to fill a gas tank.

With those nails, she had trouble depressing keys on the keyboard and holding a pen to write. Hard to imagine why a large and usually reputable regional tire chain would assign someone like that as a store manager. She wasn't the one in charge when I brought the car in for service the day before. I sure would have gone elsewhere if she had been!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

What make and model do you have, and I'll tell you if there is a difference. Otherwize we are all as clueless as ms dayglo nails.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Going to a "regional tire chain" for an alignment was yopur FIRST mistake -- - - and "dayglo" had nothing to do with doing the actual alignment - the technician would have done the same job if the service writer had grease under HIS nails.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

'16 Toyota Avalon Limited

Reply to
Wade Garrett

In general, I agree with you.

But this particular shop had been an independent local tire dealer-- a family business started and owned by two cousins and staffed with several family members. I'd been a happy customer for 25 years.

In the most recent years, the son of one of the founders ran things day-to-day while pop and the cousin pulled back. Unfortunately, a few months ago, they sold the business to a regional company and retired- but the son still ran the place-- and some of the family guys stayed on too.

I'm guessing that on the day I went back to inquire, the son was off and the woman there was some temp/floater manager from regional HQ or some-such.

I talked to the senior tech yesterday who told me it didn't matter how the invoice labeled the car. The vehicle was identified to the alignment rig by scanning the barcode on the B pillar.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

All versions of the 2016 Avalon and Lexus ES share the same alignment specifications regardless of tire or rim size

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Like I said - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thanks!

Curious though-- how did you find that out? I searched all over the place and couldn't find that info...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Contacts.I'm a Former Toyota service manager

Reply to
Clare Snyder