OT: Chain-link cage construction in Denver

Denver authorities are getting ready for Democratic Convention

"Inside [the warehouse] are dozens are metal cages. They are made out of chain link fence material and topped by rolls of barbed wire. 'This is a secured environment,' Capt. Frank Gale of the Denver Sheriff's Department told CBS4. We're concerned about how that's going to be utilized by people who will be potentially disruptive.' "

Anarchists have already dubbed the facility "Gitmo on the Platte."

With pic of chain-link 'cells':

Another report notes the ACLU is concerned about, and demanding information on,:

a) Toilet accommodations, b) food, c) visitation with lawyers, etc.

My Answers: a) Crap in your hand b) Eat with your hand c) Talk to the hand

Reply to
HeyBub

On 8/14/2008 7:19 PM HeyBub spake thus:

So I take it you're OK with "free speech zones"? Remember that this is the *Democratic* convention we're talking about here. What if you wanted to go there to protest their policies? Wouldn't bother you being corralled into a chain-link cage, would it? Naaaah.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Since you asked: I do want to protest their policies and will do so at the ballot box.

There is no chance that I, or any other law-abiding person, will be corralled in a chain-link box because I will not violate laws set up to protect the sensibilities of reasonable folk from the outrages of the few.

In reality, the Democrats are paranoid because of their remembrance of the

1968 convention in Chicago. As a poster on another newsgroup said (and modesty prevents me from naming him):

--- begin quote

There is an institutional memory of the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago, starring Jerry Rubin, Abbie Hoffman, David Dellinger, Tom Hayden, Mayor Daley, and a cast of thousands.

For the first few hours of that ill-fated convention, delegates were puzzled by the presence of several Chicago police officers congregating around the main entrance. At random intervals, the officers, in unison, would hold up a small card with a hand-written numeral (1 thru 9).

Finally it was deduced that the officers were scoring the attractiveness of women entering the convention hall ! (Average score: 2.44.)

Eruption.

Officially, 152 officers were injured in the ensuing melee, over 500 protesters were treated on the street, some 101 being admitted to hospital (mostly for tear-gas inhalation). There were no fatalities.

Now my view is that the Denver city authorities could prevent mayhem by imposing a couple of simple restrictions: Ladies attending the convention should wear bras and matching socks (your standard bra-less Democratic activist is not a pretty sight).

--- end quote

Reply to
HeyBub